Title: Associate Director and Sr. Editor – Development Comms, Environmental Defense Fund (EDF)
With world attention on both the environment and the economy, Environmental Defense Fund (EDF) is where policymakers and business leaders turn for win-win solutions. By focusing on strong science, uncommon partnerships and market-based approaches, we tackle urgent threats with practical solutions. We are one of the world’s largest environmental organizations, with more than two million members and a staff of approximately 700 scientists, economists, policy experts, and other professionals around the world. We operate in 22 geographies with unique projects running across four programs. You will be part of a vibrant workplace where innovation and results are a way of life.
EDF envisions a world in which people from all backgrounds and experiences feel connected to the environmental challenges we face and are engaged in creating durable, equitable solutions. We seek talented candidates who share our Core Values of Respect, Results, Innovation, Optimism, and Integrity, and support our Commitment to Diversity.
The Associate Director will be responsible for editing and acting as a final set of eyes on materials produced by the Development Communications Team, with a focus on materials for foundations and individuals who are making or have the potential to make gifts of at least $100,000. The Associate Director will also work with the Director of Development Communications to craft donor materials that cross multiple programs and articulate the organization’s most pressing initiatives. The Associate Director will coordinate closely with the organization’s top executives to write direct donor communications. This position may have supervisory responsibilities.
Department and Location
This position is part of the Development Communications team within EDF’s Development Department. This position can work from EDF’s New York, Boston, San Francisco, Boulder or Washington, DC offices.
- Edit materials written by other members of the Development Communications team to ensure consistency, accuracy, clarity and adherence to EDF’s strategic framework.
- In partnership with the Director of Development Communications, work with senior leadership across the organization’s programs to develop donor-centric, strategic documents that clearly articulate enterprise-wide initiatives.
- Write executive-level donor communications, including from the Office of the President and CEO, such as emails, concept notes, statements and talking points.
- Identify needs for donor materials, including assessing and resolving gaps and other issues in program content, framing and donor positioning.
- Communicate major fundraising initiatives and communications strategies to colleagues and mentor development communications colleagues on deliverables for individual donors.
- Manage document and process flow, at times involving multiple programs and stakeholders, ensuring deadlines are met with high-quality products.
- Communicate and collaborate effectively and extensively with development and program staff in carrying out tasks and responsibilities, including with geographically-dispersed colleagues.
- Participate in advancing EDF DEI goals in which people from all backgrounds and experiences feel connected, included, and empowered to address environmental and organizational challenges in alignment with EDF values.
- Supervise and mentor at least one communications specialist.
- Other related duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree with a background in environmental studies/science/ English/communications or other relevant major preferred.
- A minimum of eight years of relevant nonprofit or NGO experience.
- A minimum of five years of writing and editing experience, including writing for foundations and high net worth individuals.
- Demonstrated knowledge of environmental issues and/or related science and policy issues.
- Proven experience transforming complex intellectual, scientific or academic material into compelling stories.
- Outstanding interpersonal skills, including the ability to work well with a wide range of colleagues across geographies.
- Excellent strategic thinking, planning, project management and organizational skills.
- Ability to work quickly, collaboratively and responsively – as a team player and independently.
- Experience developing and implementing communications plans in cooperation with diverse, high-visibility stakeholders.
- Hands-on experience building and executing on communication strategies that leverage multiple channels to achieve goals with measurable results.
- An understanding of, and commitment to, Environmental Defense Fund’s mission.
- Self-awareness, cultural competency, commitment to inclusivity and ability to work with colleagues and stakeholders across diverse cultures and backgrounds.
- Skillset Communications
- Experience Level 5-10 years