We are looking for a passionate and creative change manager to motivate and guide health care leaders in designing and implementing sustainability strategies that yield impact. The Associate Director of Sustainability Solutions should have experience in strategy design and a proven track record in motivating individuals or organizations to realize their goals. Candidates should enjoy working as part of a team to apply programmatic strategy and have exceptional interpersonal and communications skills.
Practice Greenhealth is the leading sustainable health care organization, delivering environmental solutions to more than 1,500 hospitals and health systems in the United States and Canada. Partnership opportunities include NGOs, nonprofits, government, academic institutions, and the health care value chain. Founded on the principles of positive environmental stewardship within the health care community, Practice Greenhealth lends its expertise to organizations looking to create safer, healthier workplaces as well as improve the health of their patients, staff, and communities.
Manage the first-year experience (governance and system building) for new hospital and health system partners. Contributes to the design of the Sustainability Solutions Team strategic objectives through partner strategy planning, product development, lead generation for Advisory Services, and new network benefit offerings. Supports team portfolio assignments and management following the first-year experience (governance and system building). Supports Director of Sustainability Solutions in management of the Sustainability Solutions Team and as a liaison with Health Care Without Harm program teams.
- Assist in onboarding new partners and co-lead the management of Year 1 partners (12-18 months of governance and systems building).
- Assists with evaluating baseline assessment results, co-creating implementation strategy for Year 1 partners, and making recommendations for assigning the partner to a Sustainability Strategy Manager for long-term, ongoing management (Year 2+).
- Advises partners on how to identify and implement their operational and environmental improvement goals with an emphasis on measurable outcomes which capture environmental and health equity benefits, strategic organizational priorities and cost savings.
- Working with a team to enhance partner support, continuously working to improve tools, resources and educational offerings to demonstrate Practice Greenhealth as the “go to” source for the latest and most relevant health care environmental sustainability information.
- Works with Growth & Marketing to cultivate and manage leads for Advisory Services, helping to qualify and differentiate partner benefits from advisory services products.
- Contribute, as a member of the Sustainability Solutions team, to a culture that emphasizes quality, continuous improvement, strategic prioritization and in collaboration
Leadership and Oversight
- Work closely with the Sustainability Solutions Director to continually assess the progress of new partner facilities, determining when to transition them to the next stage and which resources and offerings will support their growth.
- Collaborate with the Growth & Marketing team to help reach new partners, as well as maintain a high member retention rate.
- Ensure alignment and integration of Health Care Without Harm strategic programmatic priorities. Promote processes to further integrate HCWH programmatic efforts with Practice Greenhealth partner benefits.
- Offer creative ideas to continuously enhance the partner model
- Cross-functionally coach on year 1 (governance and system building) with Sustainability Solutions Team.
- Support Director functions in the case of an absence by the Sustainability Solutions Director.
Engagement and service delivery
- Execute and support the first-year experience (governance and system building) for new Practice Greenhealth partners through a lens of continuous improvement. This includes collaborating with fellow staff within Sustainability Solution staff, Growth and Marketing, Sector Performance to support a partner hospital/health system’s design of a strategic plan, weaving in facility or system specific priorities, and directing partner experiences (e.g. Cohorts, Virtual Knowledge Sessions, etc.) and initiatives that add value (e.g. Cool Food Pledge, etc.).
- Make formal presentations as assigned and support new partner recruitment, as requested.
- Provide outstanding customer service to meet and exceed the facility partner’s needs by contributing to the design and deployment of standardized engagement methodologies, connecting with other network partners, responding timely to requests, and resolving issues.
- Encourage and support partners’ participation in the annual Practice Greenhealth Environmental Excellence awards program and other data collection/benchmarking processes.
Sustainability Solutions Team Support
- Contribute to collaborative projects such as website improvement, webinar and resource development, peer-to-peer cohorts and working groups, CleanMed session planning and moderating, and award application process support.
- Actively use the association management system (NetForum) to input and extract data to support effective internal virtual communication.
- Gather data as needed to support partners and the Sustainability Solutions team. Compile statistical reports and studies for data-informed project design.
- Participate in regular internal planning and coordination calls.
- Act as representative for the team at internal department and program meetings in the absence of the Sustainability Solutions Director.
Knowledge Advancement & Collection
- Connect partner contacts to organizational resources to address environmental health issues and apply interventions. Areas include but are not limited to: fundamentals of sustainability, climate health, energy and water conservation, minimization of chemicals of concern, waste management/minimization, healthy foods, sustainable procurement, transportation, education, and building design.
- Pursue ongoing group and individual professional development opportunities to enhance knowledge, understanding, and skills related to industry topics such as environmental stewardship, leadership engagement, change management.
- Participate in the product (resources, tools, content, etc.) development pipeline with the Growth & Marketing team.
- Support partners in the development of strategy for effective assessment, analysis and recognition of sustainability performance.
- Minimum Education: BA or BS. Combined experience/education as a substitute for minimum education.
- Minimum Experience: 3 years in a service-oriented capacity
- Minimum Field of Expertise: Project management, and or change management
- Preferred Field of Expertise: Healthcare sector and/or sustainability industries, leadership role in a membership organization, governance structures
Job-Specific Competencies Required
- Strategic approach and change management: Ability to think strategically and creatively, with experience applying change management methodology to change mindsets and insight action.
- Project Management – Knowledge and experience in project management. Ability to build rapport while managing multiple initiatives at the same time.
- Team Approach: Ability to work as part of a team with experience providing oversight to others to track, measure, and achieve strategic goals.
- Membership or Service orientation – Experience working in a service or membership organization
- Healthcare Sustainability: Basic understanding of technical components of healthcare sustainability such as waste management, energy/water conservation, climate change connections to public health, chemical management, supply chain effects, sustainable food, green building design and construction.
- Written Content: Ability to effectively write email communication, concise web content
- Communication Skills: Comfort speaking in front of audiences, comfort in speaking with and effectively communicating to senior-level internal and external stakeholders
- Computer Skills: Ability to work with Microsoft Office products such as Word, Power Point, Excel and Google products such as Google Drive and Google Documents. Previous knowledge or ability to easily pick up on use of a CRM and internal communication tool like Slack.
What’s In It For You?
- Work for an organization where the mission is inspiring and your colleagues care deeply for the mission and the network of people carrying out that mission.
- Play a key role in helping drive growth, influence impact, and advance efforts to create a more sustainable health care sector and community.
- Be part of an inspirational global network.
- Fantastic benefits!
To Apply or Inquire
Health Care Without Harm and Practice Greenhealth are committed to cultivating and sustaining culturally and ethnically diverse organizations, and to the principles that promote inclusive practices. We believe that systems can only be transformed when a diversity of voices, perspectives, and lived experiences are a part of the movement for change. We are dedicated to building a diverse staff with expertise and interest in addressing systemic racism within our organization and to serve the mission of the organizations in respectful ways. Health Care Without Harm/Practice Greenhealth is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
To apply, upload a cover letter along with your resume to Iqbal Mian, Sustainability Solutions Director, via this link. Questions can be addressed to [email protected]. Only competitive candidates will be invited to participate further in the recruitment process. Closing date to submit applications is on March 14, 2023.
$85k – $95k commensurate with skills & experience