Position Title: Chief of Staff, Carbon180
Position Posting: https://carbon180.org/jobs
Carbon180 is a new breed of climate-focused NGO on a mission to fundamentally rethink carbon. We know that our climate goals can only be met by rapidly reducing emissions and removing the carbon that already exists in our atmosphere. The good news? Carbon is much more than mere waste. We work at the intersection of science, business, and policy to champion solutions that transform carbon from a liability to an asset and foster a prosperous, carbon-conscious economy. Our team is based in Washington, D.C., with a few teammates that work remotely from other cities.
Carbon180 is seeking a Chief of Staff to join our growing team. You will report to and work closely with the Executive Director to ensure the organization’s daily, weekly, and monthly work is aligned with high-level strategic goals. This will involve working with the leads of our Policy, Operations, Government Affairs, Communications, and Science & Innovation teams. You will also support major organizational decision-making, fundraising and donor relations, and Board management. This is a senior-level position that will play a central role in our organization during a period of rapid growth.
Major Roles + Responsibilities
- Work with team leads across the organization to facilitate coordination, ensure work is aligned with our mid- and long-term strategy, track timelines, and set priorities; this will include ensuring that deadlines are met and that key projects and products are completed
- Manage projects across the organization, working with team members at every level
- Work closely with the Executive Director to support strategy development and execution
- Create internal and external materials focused on organizational changes, fundraising, and project management; this will include writing memos, creating slide decks, drafting remarks, and building out spreadsheets
- Work with the Operations team to manage organization-wide planning systems, including identifying when updates are needed and supporting their development and roll out
- Support the Executive Director on scheduling, project management, and other day-to-day tasks
Compensation + Benefits + Perks
Carbon180 is deeply committed to providing competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits to our employees. The salary range for this position will be between $110,000 and $175,000 commensurate with candidate experience. Carbon180 prides itself on offering benefits and perks to our employees that illustrate how we live our values, including:
- 36-hour workweeks (we close at 1 p.m. every Friday) and dedicated no-meeting time each week
- Flexible work-culture
- 4 weeks of PTO, 2 weeks of sick leave, and 5 Floating Holiday/Personal Days
- Paying 100% of medical/dental/vision insurance premiums for you and your dependents
- A quarterly health & wellness stipend
Our ideal Chief of Staff believes deeply in our mission. Beyond that:
- You move fluidly from strategy to execution. You appreciate the big picture and feel inspired to set a bold vision, but you know it’s all in the details. You manage projects fluidly, fiercely prioritize, and track timelines, data, and information in an organized and systematic fashion. You don’t drop balls, miss deadlines, or forget to respond to someone’s inquiry – and you’re not afraid to roll up your sleeves to do the work.
- You build trust and leverage meaningful relationships to get things done. A relationship-builder at heart, the people you work with trust that you leverage relationships to get things done in a mutually beneficial, non-transactional way. You are both warm AND demanding. You do the things you say you will do, hold others to account, and support the people you engage in the pursuit of our shared goals.
- You roll with the punches, and can turn on a dime. You remain flexible and operate comfortably in rapid response fundraising conditions. Often, it’s on us to move fast to get people the information they need to invest confidently in our work.
- You are an excellent and fluid communicator. People go to you to help them convey complex ideas in a compelling manner and in the right format. You are able to leverage strong written and verbal communication skills across your responsibilities – whether it’s designing a new system/procedure and rolling it out to the team, writing a proposal for funders, or communicating complex information to stakeholders, you understand that clarity, timing, sequence, and format of communications is a key driver of our ability to succeed.
- CRM is your favorite set of letters. You juggle dozens of active relationships by staying organized, transparent, and communicative, internally and externally. You rarely drop balls, and others would describe you as someone who follows up with them to follow up with you.
- You’re high impact, low-ego, and kind to yourself and others. Our Core Values (below) resonate with who you are and what you believe.
Beyond that, you will need:
- 6 – 12 years of experience working on strategy, operations, and/or organizational management
- Strong project management experience
To apply for the Chief of Staff role, please submit an application here no later than Monday, January 24, 2022. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis as they are received, so we encourage you submit your application early.; if you have any questions or issues submitting an application, please email us at: firstname.lastname@example.org
At C180, we believe in living by an internal set of core values, which we strive to embody and celebrate in moments big and small.
- One Boat. We work hard to ensure that we are rowing in one direction as a team, aligning our work and resources to shared goals..
- Pencil to Pen. We think critically, do our research, and weigh multiple options. Then, we commit to move to action.
- Win + Lose Together. When one of us succeeds, we all win. When we encounter challenges, we determine how best to redirect the energy and resources of the team to solve them.
- Person in the Professional. Our team is composed of real people with real passions, interests, and needs, within and outside of our work. To be our best and most productive selves at work, we believe we need to care for ourselves and others.
- Make Space, Share Space. We believe in making space for all voices to be heard, within our team and our broader work particularly and especially voices historically disenfranchised and disproportionately impacted by the effects of climate change.
- Be a Window, Not a Door. We’re committed to transparency, and to shining light on how and why decisions are made. We are honest with one another, ask for clarity, and operate with integrity to build a culture of trust.
- Grow the Braintrust. We are committed to constantly learning, and to staying up to speed on the science of our field. We work to grow our knowledge, sharpen our skills, and to bring great minds to the field of carbon removal.
We currently require that all employees that plan to enter a Carbon180 office or otherwise meet in person with coworkers or other third parties on Carbon180 business are fully vaccinated against the COVID-19 virus. Accordingly, this role may require full COVID-19 vaccination (subject to any exemptions or accommodations due to medical or religious reasons).
- Address District of Columbia, United States
- Salary $110,000 - $175,000
- Experience Level 5-10 years