Title: Communications and Engagement Specialist, Johns Hopkins University Office of Sustainability
The JHU Office of Sustainability is seeking dynamic candidates to fill the position of Communications & Engagement Specialist. The Office’s mission is to leverage the potential of Johns Hopkins University to develop innovative environmentally and socially responsible solutions that support campus management, teaching, research, and co-curricular opportunities, while benefitting our region and the world.
The Communications & Engagement Specialist reports to the Sustainability Director and will lead the office’s portfolio of communications and engagement initiatives and bring diverse technical and people-facing capabilities to create scalable resources and relationships that empower the broader JHU community to integrate sustainability into their everyday practices.
The ideal candidate will bring a deep knowledge of sustainability issues and communications management that allows them to translate complex topics to diverse audiences using multi-media platforms, events, and speaking engagements. This individual will develop toolkits, graphics, website content, articles, and more to engage and inform university-wide audiences, while building strategic partnerships across the institution and serving as part of a growing team. Strong writing and speaking skills and a background in managing diverse communications platforms is essential.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Co-lead the development of a new sustainability website with external designers and internal stakeholders, and serve as the lead staff member overseeing website content and management
- Develop articles and other written content featuring sustainability news and information to university-wide audiences while strengthening information sharing across JHU networks
- Support the creation of behavioral toolkits, resources, and guides that provide information to foster sustainable behavior change among student, staff, and faculty audiences
- Support a range of resource conservation programs, such as Green Labs, Green Teams, and Green Office initiatives through written content, speaking engagements, and design materials
- Plan and organize events as needed in conjunction with university-wide and community partners
- Serve as the graphic design lead for the office to improve marketability of sustainability content
- Manage office’s social media accounts and content to reach internal and external audiences
- Oversee a team of student interns to support office’s communications and engagement initiatives, while serving as a student mentor
- Increase visibility for existing university-wide resources and events by building relationships and creating networks between schools and divisions
- Deliver presentations to university-wide stakeholders and serve as a speaker to promote and share resources and priorities that enhance environmental literacy
- Provide occasional communications analytics to track and measure progress on office’s reach and engagement to diverse audiences
- Offer flexible support to other team members on an as-needed basis to enhance office projects through communications, design, and content development
- Serve as a content expert on sustainability communications and engagement to JHU subcommittees and working groups
- Represent JHU at select conferences, events, and consortia as a means to share research and information and ensure adoption of sector-wide best practices
- Bachelor’s degree required in sustainability, environmental studies or science, communications or marketing, or a related field.
- Minimum two years of progressive experience demonstrating a mix of sustainability projects, communications management, outreach and engagement initiatives, or other related experience in sustainability required.
- Additional education may substitute for required experience, and additional related experience may substitute for required education to the extent permitted by the JHU equivalency formula.
- Master’s degree preferred
Special Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Experience creating and managing multimedia communications platforms including websites, newsletters, articles, toolkits, social media, and other content
- In-depth knowledge of complex sustainability issues spanning multiple topics such as built environment, energy, waste, transportation, food, etc.
- Exceptional communication skills and ability to translate information in verbal and written forms
- Outstanding project management and organizational skills, including the ability to lead a project team, prioritize tasks, and provide mentoring as needed
- Ability to manage a complex project portfolio and efficiently prioritize tasks to meet deadlines
- Excellent interpersonal skills with ability to work collaboratively as part of a team and with individuals at various levels across the university and externally
- Strong creative acumen and strategic design thinking capabilities
- Proficient in Adobe Suite software and other design tools as needed
- Experience with WordPress and communications analytics desirable
- Experience working in higher education and supervising students a plus
- Address Baltimore, Maryland, United States
- Skillset Communications
- Experience Level 2-5 years