Organization: League of Conservation Voters
Point of Contact at League of Conservation Voters: LCV Human Resources
Organization Address: 740 15th Street NW, Suite 700 Washington District of Columbia
Title: Compliance & Legal Associate
Department: Legal & Strategic Initiatives
Reports to: Compliance Director
Positions Reporting to this Position: None
Location: Washington, DC – Hybrid
Travel Requirements: Up to 5%
Union Position: Yes
Job Classification Level: A
Salary Range (depending on experience): $53,445 – $62,542
LCV believes our earth is worth fighting for because everyone has a right to clean air, water, and a safe, healthy community. To ensure those rights are protected, we help people use their power to shape policy, hold politicians and polluters accountable, and influence elections.
For more than 50 years, LCV has grown into a potent political force for protecting our planet and everyone who inhabits it. We have built a powerful national movement with 30 state affiliates, and grassroots and community organizing programs across the country.
LCV is hiring a Compliance & Legal Associate who will play a key role in assisting the Compliance Director with Federal Election Commission (FEC), Internal Revenue Service (IRS), and various state compliance reporting for the LCV family of organizations through data entry and tracking of reportable activity, such as contributions and expenditures. The Compliance & Legal Associate will also provide administrative support to the Legal & Strategic Initiatives department. The ideal candidate will have a strong attention to detail, excellent organizational skills, the ability to manage time well and balance multiple tasks, and work well independently and as part of a team.
- Assist the Compliance Director in performing data entry and tracking expenses, contributions, and other information required for Federal Election Commission, IRS, and state compliance reports, using Microsoft Excel, Google sheets, and Wrike.
- Work with the Compliance Director and LCV’s external compliance vendor to prepare required revenue and expenditure data for the creation of campaign finance reports, and help resolve any questions or issues.
- Maintain internal systems for tracking reportable activity as well as calendars to track when various reports are due.
Communicate with staff across departments to stay up to date on electoral programs, obtaining all needed information on reportable activities.
- Maintain a contributions database and tracker, and produce reports with respect to the organization’s electoral grants and contributions impact.
- Support the Compliance Director in tracking and maintaining state and other corporate registrations annually, including charitable solicitation registrations, sales/use tax exemption certificates.
- Track all contracts received for legal review and ensure contracts are executed and on file. Serve as a resource about the processes and needs from LCV staff.
- Assist the Legal & Grants Coordinator with grants management procedures and systems, and serve as a resource about the processes and needs from LCV staff.
- Provide general administrative support to the Legal & Strategic Initiatives department, including but not limited to processing payment requests and budget/expense reports.
- Contribute to LCV’s commitment to integrating racial justice and equity into the work we do that furthers equitable operations within the organization by maintaining processes with the goal that compliance and legal services are equitably and equally provided to all staff and programs requiring them.
- Travel up to 5% for staff retreats, trainings and conferences, as needed.
- Conduct in-office responsibilities from LCV’s Washington D.C. office at least two days per month, which may include processing incoming mail for the Legal & Strategic Initiatives department, gathering necessary authorized signatures, and sending out documents in accordance with compliance deadlines, as needed.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Work Experience: Required – Minimum of 1 year aggregate experience in administrative, compliance, or campaign setting (such as finance/fundraising; experience managing field operations; general campaigns operations experience.)
- Preferred – Experience working within a nonprofit and/or political organization, or political campaign.
- Skills: Required – Extremely detail-oriented and well-organized. Proficient in Microsoft Office and Google Suite, particularly Microsoft Excel and Google Sheets; strong research, writing and communication skills; critical thinker adept at problem solving. Ability to work under tight deadlines while maintaining accuracy. Preferred – Experience with Salesforce, NGPVAN EveryAction, and/or Wrike or other project management software.
- Cultural Competence: Demonstrated awareness of one’s own cultural identity, views about difference, and the ability to learn and build on varying cultural and community norms. Commitment to equity and inclusion as organizational practice and culture. Understands how environmental issues intersect with racism, economic and social inequality in the U.S. and has a passion for working to dismantle these systems.
- Working Conditions: This job operates in a professional office environment, and routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, and audiovisual systems. This position is largely sedentary, often standing or sitting for prolonged periods. Applicants need to be located in and legally authorized to work in the United States. LCV requires all employees working from our offices or participating in in-person meetings or events to be fully up-to-date on their COVID-19 vaccinations, subject to reasonable accommodation as required by law.
LCV offers a comprehensive and competitive benefits package that includes vacation, sick and parental leave, personal days, paid holidays, health insurance (two plan options for staff to choose from), dental and vision insurance, life and disability insurance (short- and long-term), Flexible Spending Account, 401(k) retirement plan with company matching contribution, commuter benefits program, sabbatical, and student loan assistance.
To Apply: Send cover letter and resume to [email protected] with “Compliance & Legal Associate” in the subject line by November 19, 2023. No phone calls please.
LCV is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to a racially just, equitable and inclusive workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran status, or genetic information, or any other protected status. LCV is committed to providing access, equal opportunity and reasonable accommodation for individuals with disabilities in employment, its services, programs, and activities. If you require reasonable accommodation in completing this application, interviewing, completing any pre-employment testing, or otherwise participating in the employee selection process, please contact [email protected].