Title: Creative Director, the Conservation Fund
Position Posting: Link here
Location: District of Columbia/Metro Area preferred, but strong candidates in other areas will be considered
The Conservation Fund
The Conservation Fund is a nonprofit conservation organization dedicated to the dual mission of protecting America’s most important land, water, and natural resources while also supporting economic growth in communities. Top‐ranked for efficiency and effectiveness, we have worked in all 50 states to protect over 8.5 million acres of land since 1985.
The Conservation Fund’s Creative Director plays a critical, inspirational role on a seven‐member team, reporting to the Director of Marketing and Communications, and supervising/directing our Graphic Designer. The primary function of the position is to lead the conceptualization, design and production for top‐level fundraising efforts, marketing pitches, web features, photo and videos with the goal of enhancing The Conservation Fund’s brand and increasing philanthropic giving. This position exercises a full range of program management responsibilities including supervision, budgeting, contracting, managing external relationships and representing the Marketing and Communications team at meetings and external functions. The Creative Director supports the national office and high‐level assignments for our state and regional offices.
Responsibilities and Scope
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable Accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Design and implement branded products that target high net worth individuals, Fortune 500 corporations, high‐level media outlets, public agencies, private conservation partners, foundations and elected
- Ensure coherence of message, branding and excellence in the quality of presentation, writing, imagery and
- Oversee all aspects of photo/video assignments (storyboarding, coordination with staff and photographers, budgeting, logistics, shot lists, and advising on all aspects from editing to final product) to ensure our visuals and videos are strategic, and
- Lead design, production, editing and distribution of all publications, including our annual
- Lead the creative aspects of special projects as assigned, such as re‐branding, campaigns and creative work for a small number of
- Work with the Director of Marketing and Communications, Graphic Designer and leadership to evolve our current look, ultimately creating a fresh, new look and resonant messaging for The Conservation Fund that stands out among competitor organizations.
- Spearhead the development, concept, budget, schedule and overall style of products to convey our stories to specific audiences.
- Maintain our collection of photography/videography and constantly work to grow the collection with new imagery that matches new branding efforts.
- Act as an internal consultant to proactively identify opportunities and support solutions to organizational creative needs.
- Manage the brand through coordination of the appearance of all print and electronic materials such as letterhead, brochures, etc. Uphold protocol to ensure consistency in logo, fonts, photographs, graphics, etc. across organization.
- Create and provide approved and accessible templates, style guides, etc. for adaptation and training and technical assistance when necessary.
- Recruit, interview, hire, and train new staff.
- Oversee the daily workflow of the department.
- Manage relationships with contractors and oversee products (e.g., photographers, videographers, freelancers and printers).
- Provide constructive and timely performance evaluations.
- Handle discipline and termination of employees in accordance with company policy.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in graphic design, marketing or similar.
- Minimum of 7‐10 years of relevant experience leading and implementing creative communication products that target numerous and disparate stakeholders.
- Minimum of 2‐3 years of experience in an environmental organization preferred. Strong strategic, creative, organizational and interpersonal skills.
- Strong writing skills.
- Expert at design for print and web.
- Ability to motivate and direct subordinate employees, contractors, vendors and interns.
- Expert level Adobe Creative Suite, Lightroom and Premier Element and/or iMovie, Photo Color Correction, designs for social media.
- Ability and drive to keep up with new creative technologies and analyze new trends and data.
- Collaborative team player with a good sense of humor.
- Estimated travel – 15%
Compensation and Benefits
This position offers a competitive salary, opportunities to earn performance‐based bonus compensation and a highly competitive package of benefits including employer contributions for health care, paid holidays, vacation and personal/sick leave, retirement plan and more.
Qualified candidates should email resume, cover letter and relevant portfolio examples to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change, or new ones may be assigned at any time, with or without notice.
To learn more about The Conservation Fund, visit https://www.conservationfund.org.
The Conservation Fund, a nonprofit corporation, is an Equal Opportunity Employer who fully and actively supports equal access for all people regardless of Race, Color, Religion, Gender, Age, National Origin, Veteran Status, Disability, Genetic Information or Testing, Family and Medical Leave status, Sexual Orientation and
Gender Identity or Expression. The Fund prohibits retaliation against individuals who bring forth any complaint, orally or in writing, to the employer or the government, or against any individuals who assist or practice in the investigation of any complaint, or otherwise oppose discrimination.
- Skillset Communications
- Experience Level 2-5 years