Organization: Rewiring America
Point of Contact at Rewiring America: LaToya Green
Organization Address: Washington, D.C.
About Rewiring America
Rewiring America is the leading electrification nonprofit, focused on electrifying our homes, businesses, and communities. We develop accessible, actionable data and tools, and build coalitions and partnerships to make going electric easier for households and communities. Rewiring America helps Americans save money, tackle nationwide emissions goals, improve health, and build the next generation of the clean energy workforce. We believe in an abundant, flourishing, climate-safe future, and know that, together, we can realize one.
We are growing our team and seeking an entrepreneurial Data Science Manager to join our Data Science team, whose work supports all aspects of Rewiring America’s mission by precisely and accurately estimating the upfront and ongoing costs and benefits of electrifying the fossil fuel machines in our homes. This position reports to the Senior Director of Data Science. In this newly-created position, the Data Science Manager is principally responsible for the growth, product, and health of the Data Science team. The impact of this work will be immense. The Data Science Manager plays a pivotal role in helping low income and disadvantaged communities benefit from electrification by connecting households to billions of dollars in existing government and private funds, helping secure below market rate financing, and determining the optimal mix of upgrades for a home to reduce energy bills. We will further use the team’s outputs to drive down the cost of electrification through carbon and health impact investing and to identify new opportunities for additional funding and policy.
What You’ll Do
You will be a people manager and technical leader responsible for growing and nurturing a cross-disciplinary team tackling the hardest challenges in electrifying people’s homes. You will partner with teams across the organization to develop a clear-eyed understanding of the challenges to electrification and develop bold solutions to make electrification the default option. As an experienced people manager you will have a dedication to helping everyone on your team grow and meet new challenges.
- Mentor an ambitious and high-powered team with diverse skills, helping them to grow and to perform as more than the sum of their parts.
- Help develop resourcing plans, career ladders, and development plans for the team.
- Connect people on the team to internal stakeholders and external experts.
- Seek out and document the challenges to electrification and how the team’s outputs can make electrification easier and more affordable.
- Work with partner teams and organizations to define capabilities and requirements, including insights that facilitate the deployment of funds to lower the cost of electrification.
- Center equity in the team’s work and collaborate with internal experts to understand and internalize the needs of the communities we serve.
- In coordination with the Senior Director of Data Science and leadership, design strategy and define our tactics to meet Rewiring America’s ambitious goals.
- Find, explore, and process new data sources that power the team’s models and help tell the story of electrification.
- Be responsible for how we train, test, deploy, monitor, and improve models and insights that capture the ongoing and changing costs and benefits of electrification.
- Over-communicate the capabilities and limitations of the models and insights we produce to generate a clear-eyed assessment of what more needs to be done.
- Proactively identify challenges that consumers and communities face in electrifying and how we might use data to overcome those challenges.
- Maintain excellent documentation; we are building tools to power the ecosystem and documentation will be critical to that end.
Who You Are
As a Data Science Manager you have excellent communication skills and a strong desire to learn from and teach others. Your instinct is to use the simplest solution that will get the job done, taking on complexity only as needed. And you are driven by a commitment to Rewiring America’s values, vision, and mission. Your work will have an immense impact on historically disadvantaged communities and our ability to reach our climate goals. With this comes a tremendous responsibility that you will meet with humility and empathy for the communities we serve. The successful candidate demonstrates enthusiasm for making electrification easy, and models excellence and integrity in all they do. The selected candidate will also possess the following Core and Preferred qualifications and characteristics:
- Strong commitment to the mission, policies, and goals of Rewiring America.
- Experience as a tech lead, mentor, or manager.
- Collaborative and communicative work style.
- 5+ years experience owning the development and deployment of machine learning models that solve business problems.
- Development experience with Python, Spark, MLlib, TensorFlow, or similar tools.
- Demonstrated communication ability across formats with skill in delivering information in a concise and compelling manner.
- Ability to scope work to meet high-level objectives and independently communicate status updates.
- You enjoy collaborative code and methodology reviews and can provide thoughtful, constructive feedback to peers.
- Demonstrated positive impact on the overall health and productivity of the groups you work with.
- Experience architecting, owning, and deploying end to end machine learning pipelines.
- Bachelor’s or advanced degree in science, engineering, economics, or social science or equivalent experience.
- Excellent references demonstrating a strong track record in building machine learning models and communicating with data.
- Content knowledge in climate, renewable energy, and/or building electrification.
Compensation and Benefits
The salary range for this position is $160,000 – $190,000 USD, commensurate with experience. Comprehensive benefits package that includes 100% employer-paid health, dental, and vision insurance for employees (and their families). Employees are able to enroll in 401k retirement plan and are eligible for a 3% automatic contribution and up to a 3% employer match on 401k contributions. Employees are also eligible for pre-tax transportation benefits. Employees will receive 160 hours of vacation time, 80 hours of health leave, up to 2 days of casual leave, and 20 hours of volunteer leave annually. Employees will also receive 13 paid holidays throughout the calendar year (15 days during Presidential and Congressional elections). We have an office closure between Christmas and New Year. Employees are eligible for 12 weeks of paid family and medical leave after 90 days of employment. Regular, full-time employees and part-time employees are eligible to take up to sixteen weeks of parental leave, in all cases related to birth, adoption, or foster care starting from the first day of employment. We offer access to professional development resources.
Commitment to Racial Equity, Diversity and Inclusion
Rewiring America values diversity in all its forms and is committed to inclusive and transparent recruitment, hiring and promotion processes. Candidates of diverse backgrounds and lived experience are strongly encouraged to apply.
Rewiring America is a project of Windward Fund, a 501(c)(3) public charity that incubates new and innovative public-interest projects and grant-making programs. Windward Fund is committed to attracting, developing and retaining exceptional people, and to creating a work environment that is dynamic, rewarding and enables each of us to realize our potential. Windward Fund ‘s work environment is safe and open to all employees and partners, respecting the full spectrum of race, color, religious creed, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, political affiliation, ancestry, age, disability, genetic information, veteran status and all other classifications protected by law in the locality and/or state in which you are working.
To apply or nominate a candidate, please submit an application and resume via the Rewiring America page at Workable.This position is open until filled, and we are moving quickly to fill this position — apply as soon as possible. Candidate review and phone screens begin immediately and will be conducted throughout the search period.
Windward participates in E-Verify and will provide the federal government with employees’ Form I-9 information to confirm authorization to work in the United States. Job candidates and employees authorized to work may not be discriminated against on the basis of national origin or citizenship status.