Position Title: Deputy National Field Director, League of Conservation Voters
Location: Flexible (the employee may decide whether to work remotely or from an LCV office)
Travel Requirements: Up to 30%
LCV believes our earth is worth fighting for because everyone has a right to clean air, water, and a safe, healthy community. To ensure those rights are protected, we help people use their power to shape policy, hold politicians and polluters accountable, and influence elections.
For more than 50 years, LCV has grown into a potent political force for protecting our planet and everyone who inhabits it. We have built a powerful national movement with 30 state affiliates, and grassroots and community organizing programs across the country.
LCV is hiring a Deputy National Field Director who will support and oversee both non-electoral issue advocacy and federal coordinated electoral field programs. The Deputy National Field Director supports the National Field Director with the design and implementation of organizing programs, especially on program operations, including staff training and field plan and material development. This position will develop training sessions and manage operations for programs in partnership with the Deputy National Field Director, IE Field Director and National Field Director. The position collaborates with the Data and Analytics team to monitor program success and work with the broader team to achieve non-electoral and electoral goals. The position also works closely with the Campaigns’ issue organizing team, supporting the execution of organizing efforts advocating for just and equitable climate policy and will manage State Field Directors. The Deputy National Field Director works with state affiliate partners and coalition members on both issue and electoral efforts and will work closely with the Deputy National Field Director, IE Field Director to coordinate on issue advocacy campaign work.
- Work closely with national LCV staff and state LCVs to develop and oversee the implementation of all organizing programs for issue campaigns that engage community members and advocate for just and equitable federal environmental policy priorities.
- Work with LCV staff and state LCVs to develop and oversee the implementation of field components of coordinated field programs mobilization programs to increase turnout among youth and communities of color.
- Manage and coach State Field Directors in the management of issue advocacy campaigns and member mobilization programs.
- Develop and support implementation of remote and digital organizing tactics to educate and engage community members as volunteers.
- Track and balance the budget for issue advocacy field programs and support tracking expenses for federal coordinated electoral campaigns.
- Build and maintain relationships and regular communication with field vendors and consultants working in support of LCV field programs.
- Develop and manage operations and administrative projects connected to the execution of field programs alongside LCV field program leadership team and consultants, including hiring materials, budget tracking, and training for organizing teams.
- Develop training and support materials for issue organizing programs to build necessary skills and abilities of program staff to engage racially diverse communities and explain intersection of policies and racial and environmental justice.
- Work with the Campaigns’ Analytics and Data team to set and track all metrics related to organizing activities and progress in meeting goals.
- Ensure compliance and reporting of all field-related electoral activities working with the Legal and Finance departments.
- Travel up to 30% of the time to meet with organizers, provide in-person training, and participate in other in-person program-related activities.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Work Experience: Required – 5 years experience in community, electoral candidate, issue or labor organizing; 3 cycles or 4 years of experience managing and training teams representing a rich mix of talent, experience, backgrounds, and perspectives; Demonstrated experience tracking data in VAN or VoteBuilder. Demonstrated experience managing program staff remotely while building a strong team environment. Demonstrated experience executing field programs and its operations, including hiring and budget management. Demonstrated experience implementing digital organizing tools, including peer-to-peer texting. Strongly Preferred – Experience working on a Coordinated campaign. Preferred – Experience with youth organizing. Experience working with data models and scores; 1 cycle or 2 years of experience running paid canvass field programs.
- Skills: Demonstrated ability to collaborate with colleagues and partner organizations. Demonstrated ability to represent organizational interests in coalitions. Ability to multitask without sacrificing quality of work. Ability to foster a collaborative team and results oriented work environment. Exceptional leadership, project management and coaching skills including supporting remote staff. Strong organizing skills, including a commitment to empowering activists and volunteers; creative and proactive in identifying and pursuing organizing opportunities. Must possess strong written and oral communication skills. Fluency in VAN and Microsoft Office Suite; other tools, including Hustle or Relay and social media, a plus. Experience managing a budget is a plus.
- Cultural Competence: Demonstrated awareness of one’s own cultural identity, views about difference, and the ability to learn and build on varying cultural and community norms. Commitment to equity and inclusion as organizational practice, culture, and management philosophy. Understands how environmental issues intersect with racism, economic and social inequality in the U.S. and has a passion for working to dismantle these systems.
- Working Conditions: This job operates both in a professional office environment and in outdoor and indoor public spaces, and the person will be exposed to outdoor elements such as precipitation, wind, and high/low temperatures. This position is occasionally sedentary; however, attending meetings and canvassing out in the communities is also frequently required. The person in the position will frequently be expected to move about to accomplish tasks and move between sites. This position routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, and audiovisual systems. The person in this position frequently communicates with community members and must be able to exchange accurate information. Ability to work hours exceeding stated office hours, as needed, including weekends. Position requires a valid driver’s license and liability insurance or access to reliable transportation. Applicants need to be located in and legally authorized to work in the United States. LCV requires all employees working from our offices or participating in in-person meetings or events to be fully up-to-date on their COVID-19 vaccinations, subject to reasonable accommodation as required by law.
Send cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Deputy National Field Director” in the subject line by May 30, 2022. No phone calls please.
- Skillset Advocacy
- Salary $84,728 – $108,000
- Experience Level 5-10 years