Position Title: Designer, Campaigns & Marketing, National Geographic Society
Organization and Position Overview
National Geographic Society (NGS) is embarking on an exciting period of growth and innovation which includes expanding its in-house engagement and marketing team and building an advancement communications group to support the organization’s fundraising, programmatic and mission-oriented goals. With a focus on brand and digital engagement, NGS is building an entrepreneurial team of in-house expertise comprised of strategic communications, marketing, digital and multi-media professionals housed within the communications division of NGS.
The Communications Division leads the development and execution of integrated communications and marketing strategies to further the mission of the National Geographic Society and advance its position as one of the world’s most trusted non-profit organizations and global brands. Driven by the Society’s vision to be more globally known for its impactful Explorer-led mission programs, the Division’s creative and strategic minds develop strategic communications, marketing campaigns, creative, content, and media to promote the Society’s strategic plan and key priorities. The Division comprises six departments: Engagement and Marketing Strategy, Brand, Creative, Strategic Communications, Executive Communications, and Content and Editorial.
The Engagement and Marketing Strategy department is an exciting and growing team within the Communications division at NGS. The department defines and implements an engagement strategy for the Society to deepen relationships with our core audiences and market our key products and services in education, museum and events, Explorer-led programs, and fundraising. Supporting a culture of philanthropy is crucial to the Society and this group leads all advancement marketing and communications efforts to ensure fundraising goals are realized. The team is driven by a deep understanding of audience behaviors and motivations — designing digital experiences, outreach campaigns, and acquisition strategies to meet their needs.
A leader in data-driven decision-making, National Geographic Society’s Designer, Campaigns and Marketing creates compelling and effective designs, assets, collateral, and templates to support fundraising, marketing, and outreach campaigns and effectively collaborates to ensure that all designs align with the brand standards, meet usability and accessibility standards, and support campaign goals and objectives. The Designer, Campaigns and Marketing reports to the Design Director.
Design and Asset Creation (60%)
- Generate creative assets and content to promote the NGS brand including website assets, email templates, social posts, ads, interactive content, direct/print marketing materials, and other creative assets to support fundraising, marketing, and outreach campaigns.
- Ensure digital and creative products are highly effective across NGS platforms and align to a cohesive and compelling visual aesthetic while also tailored to be effective for distinct channels including web, display, social, email, direct mail, mobile, and other mediums.
Design Integration and Execution (30%)
- Utilize NGS style guides and brand standards in the design process of deliverables and products.
- Work with sub-departments across the Engagement + Marketing Strategy team and creative vendors/collaborators to unify messaging, press ready files, and branded deliverables to external audiences.
- Work alongside the UX team to suggest best practices and data-driven improvements to enhance the customer journey.
- Seamlessly transition digital design to print-ready deliverables.
Creative Concepting and Campaign Design (10%)
- Participate in collaborative brainstorming sessions to assist the visioning of top-level creative themes, design directions, and concept development for new marketing campaigns, mission moments, events and other programmatic initiatives.
- Research and present ideas based on industry best practices in support of NGS future campaigns.
Requirements and Experience
- A minimum of 7 years of experience working across various mediums with an emphasis on digital but may include print in a fundraising environment.
- Ideal experience will include managing end-to-end campaign design processes and deliverables in the fundraising and advancement space, with a keen understanding of digital donor engagement.
- Proficiency or experience in Adobe Creative Cloud, Marketing Cloud, and other creative/marketing tools as well as project management tools like Wrike.
- Understanding of data analysis as it relates to design strategy; being able to look at numbers and data around creative deliverables and knowing when to shift gears to ensure greater effectiveness of CTA and user engagement.
- Experience working with nonprofit and mission-driven organizations is a plus.
- A passion for the Society’s mission to use science, exploration, education, and storytelling to illuminate and protect the planet.
- An entrepreneurial spirit and desire to be part of a team embarking on a new journey.
- Humility, creativity, and leadership with the ability to work cohesively and collaboratively across teams and functions
Bachelor’s degree in a related field (Communications, Marketing, Business, etc.)
Hybrid – This position has been designated Hybrid, meaning your position will be performed from NGS Base Camp three fixed days a week (Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday) and can be performed remotely for two fixed days a week (Monday and Friday). The salary range for this position begins at $87,000.
- Address District of Columbia, United States
- Skillset Marketing
- Salary $87,000
- Experience Level 5-10 years