Title: Director Domestic Climate and Energy Policy, Center for American Progress
Full Position Description: https://www.americanprogress.org/about/jobs/497641/director-domestic-climate-energy-policy-2/
American Progress is hiring a Director of Domestic Climate and Energy Policy to work under the Senior Director of Domestic Climate and Energy Policy. The Director will be responsible for developing and communicating new policy ideas, managing a research team, and coordinating projects across teams. The ideal candidate will have a deep understanding of climate policy and the U.S. energy sector, experience collaborating with partners, and creative ideas for how to build political consensus for urgent action to address the climate crisis.
- Assist in developing and executing American Progress’ strategic priorities on domestic climate and clean energy policy.
- Supervise a small team of research and policy experts and coordinate with other teams at American Progress to manage shared projects.
- Work with diverse partners and organizations to develop and implement legislative and political strategies at the federal level.
- Conceive, research, write, and edit original written products, ranging from opinion editorials to in-depth reports, to communicate energy policy ideas to policymakers, thought leaders, and the media.
- Design, plan, and execute public and private events, meetings, summits, conferences, and other special events.
- Liaise with members of Congress, Capitol Hill staff, and the administration to help them understand and support positive policy ideas or stand up to oppose harmful policy changes.
- Represent American Progress in diverse coalitions of other organizations focused on U.S. climate and clean energy policy.
- Represent American Progress as a spokesperson in all forms of media as necessary to promote the team’s energy policy agenda.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Requirements and Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree is required; advanced degree is a plus.
- Minimum of eight years of post-degree professional experience in policy development, campaign management, legislative or other advocacy, coalition-building, or related fields.
- Demonstrated project management skills are required, with a strong commitment to supervising and developing staff in a manner supportive of diversity, equity, and inclusion. Formal supervisory experience is a plus but is not required.
- Excellent writing and communications skills.
- A proven knowledge base in energy and environmental policy, as well as an ability to effectively communicate these issues to a non-technical audience.
- Expertise in environmental regulatory policy is a plus, but not required.
- Understanding of how environmental issues intersect with racism and economic and social inequality.
- Experience working with diverse coalitions and a breadth of existing relationships in the climate and energy policy space.
- Experience in seeking funding or grant writing is a plus, but not required.
- Capitol Hill or executive branch experience is a plus, but not required.
- Commitment to American Progress’ mission and goals, including the progressive values of environmental justice, diversity, equity, and inclusion.
American Progress offers full and competitive benefit packages. This position has a starting salary of $90,000. Candidates from diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply.
Please follow this link to the online application. When completing the application, be sure to combine your cover letter and resume/CV into one Word or PDF file and upload this combined document. The system does not allow for multiple files.
This announcement will remain posted until the position is filled. No phone calls, please.
Please note that only those individuals whose qualifications match the current needs of this position will be considered applicants and will receive responses from American Progress
- Address District of Columbia, United States
- Skillset Policy
- Salary $90,000
- Experience Level 5-10 years