Position Title: Director of Policy Engagement – Sustainability, Microsoft
As the environmental challenges facing the world grow, so too has Microsoft’s commitment to ensuring that the company’s activities are in-line with the best available science and the expectations of leading stakeholder communities. The CELA Environmental Sustainability (ES) team coordinates overall science-based, measurable, and scalable sustainability investments and outcomes across the company – engaging with business groups to set goals related to reductions in the environmental impacts of business operations and positive environmental outcomes resulting from technology and policy development.
To support these efforts, Microsoft is hiring a Director of Policy Engagement. Reporting to the Senior Director of Global Policy, this position will manage key Microsoft related sustainability policy initiatives; identify and track global sustainability policy and regulatory developments; work closely with government affairs teams worldwide to guide and support advocacy efforts, engage with national governments, the UN and other external sustainability related organizations, and promote global policy positions and campaigns in furtherance of Microsoft’s operational and sustainability commitments. The policy positions will be inclusive of Microsoft’s sustainability focus areas of carbon, water, waste, and ecosystems, led by enabling Microsoft to meet its sustainability commitments, responsive to Microsoft’s business needs, and aligned with ensuring an even, equitable global policy landscape that delivers both environmental and societal benefits.
A successful candidate will have expertise and experience in carbon accounting and be inventive, comfortable working in a quick-turn, deadline-driven, matrixed, international environment, and adept at managing multiple projects and assignments simultaneously. You must be flexible, able to multi-task, demonstrate strong attention to detail, meet deadlines, and be comfortable working independently within ambiguous situations.
- Lead the daily management of Microsoft’s participation in the Carbon Call, a multi-stakeholder initiative to enable reliable and interoperable carbon accounting and manage other sustainability related policy initiatives
- Collaborate with engineering, business, sustainability, and policy colleagues to develop and incorporate cross-company positions and inform engagement strategies for these initiatives
- Identify and track global sustainability policy and regulatory development in key markets
- Develop materials and training to equip and empower global government affairs colleagues in their local policy advocacy on sustainability issues
- Collaborate with government affairs teams worldwide and key business groups to guide and support advocacy efforts, engage with national governments, the UN and other external sustainability related organizations to achieve corporate and societal sustainability policy goals
- Participate in sustainability related industry associations and coalitions, and collaborate with government and corporate affairs teams globally to drive effective engagement
- Communicate Microsoft’s global policy positions clearly and effectively to internal and external audiences
The successful candidate will have the following qualifications:
- Bachelor’s Degree AND 7+ years experience in corporate social responsibility, philanthropies, corporate affairs, or related area OR 10+ years experience in corporate social responsibility, philanthropies, corporate affairs, or related area.
- 7+ years of sustainability policy experience in a technology or engineering organization, corporate, non-profit, governmental or international agency, with experience across multiple disciplines.
- Strong domain expertise in carbon accounting and measurement from a regulatory, practitioner and/or scientific perspective.
The ideal candidate will also have:
- Advanced degree in public policy, sustainability, environmental science, or other natural sciences.
- Subject matter expertise on policies and regulations related to carbon disclosure and accounting, greenhouse gas emissions controls, grid decarbonization, carbon removal markets, circular economy, and other sustainability issues.
- 10+ years of demonstrated, successful work experience in relevant environmental law and/or public policy.
- 5+ years of experience working in national government or international organization on environmental policy issues.
- 5+ years experience managing a multi-stakeholder, global sustainability policy initiative.
- 5+ years experience working in or with a large, matrixed organization.
- 2+ years experience managing outside resources, including consultants, on legislative or public policy-related initiatives.
- Excellent business and technical acumen and entrepreneurial, self-directed spirit.
- Strong collaboration and cross-company leadership skills.
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills.
- Growth mindset with problem solving skills and strong project management and follow-through.
- Ability to represent the Company effectively in a variety of public settings.
- Skillset Policy
- Experience Level 10+ years