Position Title: Director of Supporter Systems, National Wildlife Federation
Position Posting: Application here
Founded in 1936, the National Wildlife Federation (NWF or Federation) is America’s largest and most trusted grassroots conservation organization with 53 state/territorial affiliates and more than six million members and supporters, including hunters, anglers, gardeners, birders, hikers, campers, paddlers, and outdoor enthusiasts of all stripes. The Federation’s mission is to unite all Americans to ensure wildlife thrive in our rapidly changing world through programming focused on conserving wildlife, restoring habitats and waterways, expanding outdoor opportunities, connecting children with nature, and addressing the causes and consequences of climate change.
To support our mission we are looking for a Database Manager to join our team, working out of our headquarters’ location in Reston, VA (all employees are working remotely while we make return to office decisions, expected to be in early 2022). Additionally this position may be a remote position in locations where NWF has offices.
This is position working in our Strategic Business Operations (SBO) department will report to the Director of Supporter Systems. In this role you will be responsible for the day to day operation of NWF’s customer relationship management (CRM) database, which is the primary supporter database and system of record for over 9 million constituents that processes over 65 million dollars in donations per year. You will also manage our Atlassian JIRA Cloud application which is used across the organization for task tracking and agile project management. You will manage front-end system enhancements, troubleshooting, and data integration efforts. Additionally, you will lead projects related to supporter system upgrades and conduct market research to stay well-informed of emerging technology solutions. To do this you will work in a collaborative environment with end users, developers, vendors, and analysts to support NWF’s fundraising, program and activism goals.
- Manage NWF’s CRM operations involving user support, enhancement requests, trainings, and process documentation.
- Manage NWF’s Atlassian JIRA Cloud operations involving user support, enhancement requests, trainings, backup manager, and process documentation.
- Attain subject matter expert status by learning and understanding business goals
- Proactively identify business process impacts and suggest/create system enhancements to make improvements.
- Manage internal and cross-departmental projects by gathering requirements, prioritizing goals, leading meetings, developing action plans, and executing solutions.
- Enhance the CRM and JIRA user experience by providing proactive recommendations and support.
- Troubleshoot system errors and work directly with developers and vendors to resolve issues.
- Research new functionality and integration opportunities that would benefit NWF’s fundraising, program, and activism goals.
- Build new channels to communicate system updates and recommendations to increase user adoption and awareness.
- Collaborate with analysts to enhance NWF’s supporter segmentation and outreach efforts through system design changes and streamlining processes to be more effective and efficient.
- At least three years experience administering a CRM platform like Microsoft Dynamics or Salesforce (nonprofit CRM experience a plus)
- At least three years experience project managing relational database and data integration efforts
- At least one years experience working with an agile project management tool (Atlassian applications a plus)
- Advanced Excel skills (comfortable working with formulas and pivot tables)
- Ability to create/learn SQL queries to pull bulk data sets
- A passion for wildlife conservation and the great outdoors
- A positive attitude and collaborative work style
- Organized individual with excellent written and verbal communication skills
Your actions are expected to reflect the staff values of the National Wildlife Federation: collaboration, mindfulness, empowerment, inclusivity, and mission focus. Your competencies should include:
- Being motivated by values of equity and responsibility to those most marginalized;
- Consistently bringing a high level of empathy and social skills to work and interpersonal interactions;
- Being committed to deepening an environmental justice approach in policy priorities, program development and partner engagement;
- Actively seeks feedback, direction, and guidance from all team members and keeps staff informed of decisions that impact them;
- Being dedicated to advancing NWF’s internal equity transformation and compelling partners and allies to incorporate equity into their work; and
- Passion for and commitment to NWF’s mission
Compensation and Benefits
The salary range for this position is $60,000 – $70,000 annually, dependent on qualifications and experience.
The National Wildlife Federation values work-life balance and a family-friendly atmosphere. Our paid time-off includes 3 weeks of vacation leave, open wellbeing leave, 10 paid holidays, 3 floating holidays, a week-long winter break, and additional leave options, per year. In addition, our benefits package includes medical, dental, and vision insurance, company paid life insurance, AD&D, short- and long-term disability, 16 weeks of paid FMLA l eave, 403b retirement plan with employer matching and annual contribution, adoption benefits, and flexible work options including telecommuting, non-traditional work hours, and compressed work weeks. Applicants are invited to learn more about National Wildlife Federation’s benefits package at https://www.nwf.org/About-Us/Careers.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Candidates should submit both a cover letter and resume.
We strive to increase diversity, equity, inclusion and justice (DEIJ) in all elements of our work and with our partners to support the interdependent needs of wildlife and people in a rapidly changing world. We recruit, employ, train compensate, and promote regardless of race, religion, creed, national origin, ancestry, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity (including gender nonconformity and status as a transgender individual), age, physical or mental disability, citizenship, genetic information, past, current, or prospective service in the uniformed services, or any other characteristic protected under applicable federal, state, or local law. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Applicants are invited to learn more about National Wildlife Federation’s commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion at nwf.org/equity.
If you have a disability and require an accommodation or assistance with our online application process, please tell us how we can help by calling us at 703-438-6244.
The requirements listed in our job descriptions are guidelines, not hard and fast rules, and if you have 75% of the qualifications listed we encourage you to apply. Your experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work, which helps build the competencies, knowledge, and skills that translates directly to our openings. Applying gives you the opportunity to be considered.
If selected for this position, a background check will be conducted.
- Address Reston, Virginia, United States
- Salary $60,000 to $70,000
- Experience Level 2-5 years