Organization: Browning Environmental Communications
Point of Contact at Browning Environmental Communications: Paula Struthoff
Organization Address: 900 17th St. NW,Suite 900,Washington, DC 20006
Browning Environmental Communications (BEC) is now accepting applications for an Environmental Research and Communications Internship. This is a competitive internship with the world’s top agency for environmental sustainability communications and consulting with limited openings.
BEC is an agile team with an international presence. We believe that strong communications are more vital than ever to achieving the transition to a sustainable world. Our clients range from corporates to non-profits, all committed to improving their sustainability and other environmental commitments.
To this end, we are looking for an intern who is passionate about environmental sustainability and has a background in environmental policy or science.
You will be assigned an experienced BEC consultant as a mentor to guide you through the internship and answer questions as you learn about the industry. You will be empowered to gain hands-on experience in PR and environmental communications, while also furthering your knowledge in a wide range of topics—such as global conservation efforts, climate finance mechanisms, ocean acidification, and more.
You will also receive regular detailed feedback—measured against mutually determined goals—and work with your BEC mentor to tailor this internship to get the most out of your experience.
Individuals of diverse backgrounds and circumstances are encouraged to apply.
This internship is intended to run for 3 months, with opportunity to extend the internship or secure full-time employment with BEC at the end of that period pending review.
It is a full-time (40 hours/week) in-person position based out of BEC’s Washington, DC office.
In this position, you will be leading research into relevant subjects (think biodiversity, corporate sustainability efforts, climate policy, etc.), analyzing implications, and weighing in on how to incorporate your findings into strategy on behalf of our clients.
You will be embedded in U.S. and global client account teams, also assisting with day-to-day client account support through tasks such as:
- Copywriting (press releases, quotes, emails, status and contact reports, social media materials, etc.)
- Editing various documents and materials
- Curating and maintain of targeted media lists
- Pitching to media
- Media monitoring
- Event identification and support
- Institutional knowledge management support
- Administrative support, ensuring internal processes are followed
- Building and maintaining award and event lists, recommending appropriate opportunities to target
Interested applicants should be passionate about driving transformational change on climate action and other environmental areas relevant to governments, NGOs, and businesses. They should also possess, at a minimum:
- Passion for relevant topics such as corporate sustainability, climate action, environmental protection, and more.
- Strong technical understanding of environmental issues, international policy, and the sustainability landscape.
- Strong writing and editing skills.
- Ability to work efficiently and independently on assignments, knowing when to ask for help to meet deadlines.
- Superb research and analytical skills.
- Ability to grasp complex topics in a timely manner.
- Desire to work in a fast-paced, dynamic team of experienced individuals.
- Excellent organization and time management skills.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite and Google Workspace.
Applicants must possess a bachelor’s degree and have or be in pursuit of a master’s degree in one of the following areas: Environmental Science, Environmental Management, Environmental Policy, Communications, International Development, Conservation, or other related fields.
How to Apply
Interested applicants are encouraged to send their CV and a cover letter to [email protected]