Position Title: Fall 2021 Internship Program, Virginia Interfaith Power & Light (VAIPL)
Application Link: bit.ly/2FXPV4u
Virginia Interfaith Power & Light collaborates among people of faith and conscience to grow healthy communities by advancing climate and environmental justice. We are the Virginia affiliate of the national organization Interfaith Power & Light (IPL).
IPL has over a decade of experience helping congregations and faith communities address climate change by being better stewards of energy. IPL brings the voice of the faith community into the policy-making arena. We know that our actions alone cannot stem the tide of climate change – we need to enact public policies to advance clean energy and to limit carbon pollution.
Internship positions are available this fall, and are able to be shortened or extended as needed, but will approximately run from September to December. Each intern will be paid a $15/hour stipend or class credit may be negotiated with your educational institution. Internships are either remote or based in Richmond. Internships can be arranged for a minimum of 10 to 15 hours per week during the school semester, with flexible scheduling.
Sample Job Duties:
- Educating and engaging new and existing volunteers and supporters in actions (petitions, surveys, etc.)
- Community mapping and research on community environmental initiatives, green teams
- Assisting with social media (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram)
- Various administrative tasks as necessary
- Must have strong oral and written communications skills, and be able to work effectively and build relationships with others.
- Must have good organization and planning skills, and be able to demonstrate effective project coordination, facilitation, and implementation based on past experiences.
- Must possess reasoning skills and be able to analyze and synthesize information for problem-solving.
- Must be passionate about climate justice!
Fall 2021 Internship Project Descriptions
- Collecting Transit Justice Surveys: This project is for you if you are interested in transitioning to a clean and just renewable energy economy. In VA, most of our carbon pollution comes from transportation. Join us to modernize and upgrade our transit system in Richmond by talking to bus riders and community leaders. This is for you if you like talking, reaching out to new people, and making phone calls.
- Gathering Water Justice Stories: Equitable access to safe and clean drinking water is an integral component of basic human rights. Pollutants from industry, antiquated water infrastructure, climate disruption, and rate increases are all threats to safe, clean water for rural communities, low-income populations, and communities of color. Please join us in the effort to protect this invaluable and irreplaceable resource by helping collect and share stories from around the Commonwealth. This is for you if you like talking, reaching out to new people, and making phone calls.
- Reaching Out to Youth: Join us to reach out to college students and young adults about engaging in environmental and climate justice actions with their peers. This is for you if you like reaching out to new young people, planning events, and making phone calls.
- Community Mapping and Research on the Intersection of Faith and the Environment: One of the really important aspects of reaching out to community members is knowing who you are reaching out to and what they are interested in. This project is for you if you like keeping track of information, working with databases, using spreadsheets, sending emails, and making follow-up calls.
- Social Media: Are you interested in using Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram to save the planet and advocate for climate justice? This is for you if you like writing, creating graphics, and social media.
Applications are due September 26, but applicants are encouraged to submit applications ASAP.
For more information, please contact email@example.com. Application can be accessed at: https://goo.gl/forms/Ne9BAeryguGsvgVx2 or bit.ly/2FXPV4u
- Salary $15/hour
- Experience Level Entry-Level