Position Title: Global Director of Learning & Development, the Sunrise Project
Position Posting: Link here
Location: Work remotely from anywhere in the world
Driven by a passion to solve the climate crisis, The Sunrise Project is a network of experienced change-makers working to scale social movements to accelerate the global transition beyond fossil fuels. With affiliated programs and staff in the U.S., Australia, and Europe, we have developed a unique model of grant making and campaigning that supports networks of organisations to drive powerful change towards our mission.
We have a dynamic and nimble organisational culture and we’re serious about supporting our people to thrive. We move fast and lean into the urgency of the climate challenge.
We believe that a diversity of experiences and perspectives will help us build stronger strategies, teams and movements. We strongly encourage First Nations people, people of color, people living outside of cities, and people with disability and talents to apply. We are continually working on becoming a better workplace for everyone.
Your Head: You are a self-motivated expert in adult education and professional development with a solid background strategy, campaigning, organising and activist development. You have experience in developing and applying learning and development methodologies that are adaptable across multiple cultures and contexts. You can draw from a deep understanding and your own personal experiences in campaigning, communications, organising, leadership, management and movement building to enable and empower others.
Your Heart: You are passionate about people reaching their full potential and helping them win on their mission. You care deeply about climate justice and have a hunger to be part of the solution. You are empathetic and can adapt your leadership style to meet the needs of the cultural and situational context to drive the outcomes needed.
Your Hands: You are able to work effectively at all levels of learning needs from 1 to 1 coaching and mentoring through to designing and delivering in-person and virtual group training through to sound decision making that have organisation and movement wide influence or/and impact. You have a broad global network, that you continually grow, to tap into the latest thinking in changing making approaches and are able to engage, inform and empower others to learn and experiment with innovations.
About the Role
You will be responsible for cultivating a culture of continual reflection and learning across The Sunrise Project to ensure our people and teams are increasing impact over time.You’ll develop and implement systems to ensure that all of our people are supported to reflect, learn and grow in their roles and that staff are supported to value reflection and feedback as core to our organisational culture.
You will develop and implement efficient and practical strategies to ensure we are evaluating impact and learning lessons within teams, sharing them across teams and with the movements we are a part of. Your work will facilitate innovation, creative experimentation and learning so we adapt our efforts to the constantly changing context.
You will lead the refinement of our monitoring and evaluation processes to surface insights that will drive decision making at all levels of the network. By cultivating an empowering learning environment your work will unleash the full potential of our people and partners. You will play a crucial role in helping our network to scale by ensuring core sunrise values and ways of working are codified and socialised.
- Design and implement an overarching global learning and development strategy across the Sunrise Project;
- Working collaboratively with senior leadership teams, identify and codify the core sunrise Principles / Ways of Working and build these into onboarding and learning programs;
- Proactively design and manage the learning journey for all staff from onboarding through to exit;
- Work with the leadership team to prioritise learning interventions and manage implementation using internal and external support;
- Proactively develop systems to spread innovations across our network and our movement partners;
- Support Program Directors to design and implement inclusive planning and evaluation processes for teams to develop plans, evaluate impact and share learnings;
- Lead Sunrise’s Justice, Equity, Diversity and Inclusion (JEDI) initiative to integrate JEDI into our organisation and work in the world;
- Develop systems to document impact and learning to enable efficient and compelling reporting on what is working and what is not to various internal and external stakeholders;
- Design development and support plans for staff in new geographies and programs and ensure we provide culturally specific support as required;
- Play a strong leadership role in shaping and modelling a creative, vibrant, healthy and agile work culture.
Skills and Experience
Required skills and experience:
- Experience in coaching, mentoring and development of senior staff
- Exceptional experience in designing and delivering impactful learning programs including developing inspiring and relevant curriculum and resources in mission driven campaign environments
- Exceptional experience in building an effective learning ecosystem that caters to the needs of many and diverse disciplines across the organisation including campaigning, communications, strategy, movement building, operations, systems management, people management and leadership development.
- Demonstrated ability to build relationships of trust to receive and share learning insights, training programs and latest thinking in change making across multiple movements and sectors
- Experience in leading leadership and people management’s SKAB (skills, knowledge, attributes and behavioural) learning and development programs
- Demonstrated experience in leading transformative Justice, Equity, Diversity and Inclusion (JEDI) initiatives
- Ability to work in and help others excel in multicultural and cross-cultural contexts
- Experience in building monitoring and evaluation systems that generate insights around performance, accountability and learning to support key organisational decision making
- Ability to moderate and adapt self-leadership style and approach to match audience needs
- Minimum 10 years in senior learning, campaign, management or leadership roles in social movement organisations in multiple cross-cultural jurisdictions.
Desirable skills and experience:
- Speak and write in more than one language
- This is a global role with a flexible location, work remotely from anywhere in the world
- The successful candidate will need to work flexible hours to sync with colleagues around the world, especially leaders in Australia and the US
Because this is a global position, the salary will vary depending on geography, experience (including unpaid and other experiences), and capacity to take on responsibility.
- For a US-based position, the salary range is $99,700 – $109,000 USD
- For an Australia-based position, the the range is $127,000 – $137,000 AUD.
- For a UK-based position, the range is £60,000 – £68,000
We are open to hiring candidates in other locations as well.
Our compensation package includes an excellent benefits package, retirement contribution, and a generous vacation policy.
How Sunrise supports its staff:
- The Sunrise Project is committed to creating a workplace that supports our staff to do their best work and develop professionally. We have the following in place to help us achieve that:
- Generous retirement contribution
- Four weeks annual leave
- Birthday, cultural leave & solidarity/community leave
- 12 weeks parental leave after 12 months’ service
- An initial 3 month work plan to help you hit the ground running and have clarity on your role and responsibilities.
- Resourced commitment to supporting to your professional development
- Coaching and management support with regular 1:1 meetings
- Access to Employee Assistance Program
- Performance reviews and feedback to support you and the team to reflect and grow
- Flexible work policy, e.g option to work 9 out of every 10 days
- Paid shutdown leave at the end of year so you can properly rest and recuperate.
In our commitment to inclusive hiring of the best candidates, we use the Be Applied hiring system to process applications. The Be Applied system reduces the opportunity for unconscious bias in allowing for anonymised reviews of responses to work sample questions. This means we assess candidates on how well they strategise and communicate on relevant work samples. When you click on the link you will be taken to an external site to start your application. You will be asked to upload a CV or resume and will be asked several questions that will be related to the role you are applying for. There is no requirement to submit a cover letter.
Statement from our US Fiscal Sponsor Windward Fund
Sunrise Project US is a project of Windward Fund, a 501(c)(3) public charity that incubates new and innovative public-interest projects and grant-making programs. Windward Fund is committed to attracting, developing and retaining exceptional people, and to creating a work environment that is dynamic, rewarding and enables each of us to realize our potential. Windward Fund ‘s work environment is safe and open to all employees and partners, respecting the full spectrum of race, color, religious creed, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, political affiliation, ancestry, age, disability, genetic information, veteran status, and all other classifications protected by law in the locality and/or state in which you are working.
- Skillset Communications
- Salary $99k - $109k
- Experience Level 10+ years