Title: Global Hubs Organizing Manager, The Sunrise Project
Position Description: https://app.beapplied.com/apply/lgmcmqymec?utm=sourceBlackOak
About the Sunrise Project
Driven by a passion to solve the climate crisis, The Sunrise Project is a team of experienced change-makers, researchers and communications professionals with a mission to scale social movements to drive the global transition beyond fossil fuels. With affiliated programs and staff in Europe, the UK, North America, and Australia, we have developed a unique model of grant making and campaigning that supports networks of organizations to drive powerful change towards our mission.
We have a dynamic and nimble organizational culture and we’re serious about supporting our people to thrive. We’re committed to building justice and equity into our organization as well as through our work in the world. We move fast and are growing rapidly as we lean into the urgency of the climate crisis.
About the Role
The Global Hubs Organizing Manager will grow and support a global network of independent organizers in key locations, who are campaigning for climate justice by shifting major financial institutions away from funding fossil fuels. The Manager will work with local organizers around the world to connect campaign goals, direct funding support, coordinate strategic actions, and facilitate an exchange of knowledge and skills. From running trainings to finding the right tech tools to help the network succeed, they will focus on scaling and resourcing local organizing hubs to ensure that organizers are supported, campaigns are successful, and the movement is collectively more powerful than the sum of its parts.
You’re an experienced organizer with a track record of supporting grassroots networks to grow, thrive and achieve real world change. You’re a digital native and work seamlessly between sophisticated digital organizing systems and real-world mobilizing. You have a knack for understanding complex systems and a deep understanding of how social movements work, including how research, policy and strategic campaigning combine with people power to achieve big change. You’re a great facilitator and a skilled collaborator and are able to work effectively with people from all walks of life – especially people new to activism and from diverse backgrounds. You are able to support the organizational and leadership needs of movement leaders through capacity building. Most importantly you are a leader people believe in, you’re generous and caring, provide wise counsel and can have sensitive and difficult conversations which leave your relationships stronger.
As this is a new program, you’re also entrepreneurial, driven, and comfortable growing something from scratch with a high degree of autonomy. If you need a lot of certainty and structure to perform optimally, this role is not for you.
- Support the creation of organizing hubs in key financial centers. Organizing hubs are grassroots networks in key finance cities mobilizing across multiple targets, and supported with technology, tools, training, and coordination
- Convene networks of grassroots organizers around the world, supporting their development as leaders, organizers, and managers
- Deliver trainings, facilitate calls, plan conferences and gatherings to support goals of program
- Coordinate a small Global Hubs program team
- Find, build, and maintain high level relationships with grassroots groups, social movements and civil society, and represent the organization in public fora as required
- Manage program budget and re-granting program for grassroots leaders
- Report to the Sunrise Organising Lab Program Director and a Senior Advisory Team to set overall program direction, objectives and key results
- Work collaboratively with other parts of the Sunrise Project team to identify and support opportunities for synergy across program areas to ensure we have the biggest collective impact possible
- At least five years’ experience leading campaigns that win real world outcomes, preferably with broad geographic scope
- Experience starting, supporting, or building grassroots movement groups or initiatives
- Demonstrated experience in organizing and digital campaigning, building the capacity of individuals to take coordinated action, training and support of others to lead
- A sophisticated understanding of digital campaigning in relation to social change
- Excellent people management and relationship building skills and a track record of leading high performing teams
- A collaborative mindset and a proven ability to work effectively in alliance with diverse stakeholders
- Excellent interpersonal communication and group facilitation skills
If you meet some but not all of the criteria for this position, are unsure, but you’re keen on the role – please get in touch. We value and recognize experience that has been unpaid, from the grassroots or is lived experience.
This is a full time, ongoing permanent role. This role is open to anyone regardless of location. Currently, teams mostly live in the US, UK, and EU, so you will need to have cross-over working hours to collaborate with those teams. You must have working rights in your country of residence.
Depending on experience (including unpaid and other experiences) and capacity to take on responsibility, the salary range for this person in the regions where we operate are: $99,700 – $107,000 in the US; £60,000 – £65,000 in the UK; EUR71,000 – EUR76,000 in Europe. For other regions, we will set compensation above average levels compared to similar roles in similar organizations within that particular geography.
The Sunrise Project is committed to creating a workplace that supports our staff to do their best work and develop professionally. We have the following in place to help us achieve that:
- Generous annual leave
- Birthday leave (if it’s your birthday, you get a day off)
- Cultural leave
- Generous paid parental leave
- Commitment to supporting your professional development
- Access to Employee Assistance Program
- Coaching and management support with regular 1:1 meetings
- Performance reviews and feedback to support you and the team to reflect and grow
- A co-developed initial 3-month work plan to help you hit the ground running and have clarity on your role and responsibilities
- Flexible work policy
We believe that a diversity of experiences and perspectives, reflecting the diversity of all people impacted most by climate change will help us build stronger strategies, teams and movements. We strongly encourage Indigenous people, people of color, people living outside of cities, and people with all kinds of bodies and talents to apply. If you meet some but not all of these criteria, or are unsure, but you’re keen on the role – please get in touch.
In our commitment to inclusive hiring of the best candidates, we use the Be Applied hiring system to process applications. This system reduces the opportunity for unconscious bias by ensuring anonymized reviews of responses to work sample questions. This means we assess candidates on how well they respond to specific questions to demonstrate the relevant skills, experiences and knowledge as listed in the job description.
When you start your application, you can upload a CV or resume and will be asked several questions related to the role you are applying for. We won’t see your name or CV until after multiple reviewers rate your responses to the application questions. There is no requirement to submit a cover letter.
Sunrise US is a project of Windward Fund, a 501(c)(3) public charity that incubates new and innovative public-interest projects and grant-making programs. Windward Fund is committed to attracting, developing and retaining exceptional people, and to creating a work environment that is dynamic, rewarding and enables each of us to realise our potential. Windward Fund‘s work environment is safe and open to all employees and partners, respecting the full spectrum of race, colour, religious creed, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, political affiliation, ancestry, age, disability, genetic information, veteran status, and all other classifications protected by law in the locality and/or state in which you are working.
- Skillset Advocacy
- Salary $99,700 – $107,000
- Experience Level 5-10 years