Position Title: Land Use Field Representative – Culpeper County, Piedmont Environmental Council (PEC)
Location: Warrenton, VA
The Piedmont Environmental Council (PEC) is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization that has proudly promoted and protected the natural resources, rural economy, history and beauty of the Virginia Piedmont since 1972. PEC empowers residents to protect what makes the Piedmont a wonderful place, and works with citizens to conserve land, protect air and water quality, celebrate historic resources, build smart transportation networks, promote sustainable energy choices, restore wildlife habitat and improve people’s access to nature (learn more about PEC).
PEC is seeking to hire a field representative to work on land use issues in the central portion of our region, specifically Culpeper County. Land use issues include the locality’s comprehensive plan and ordinances, development proposals, transportation planning and specific projects, local policies and regulations related to rural land preservation and conservation, economic development, natural and historic resource protection, and others as needed.
Field representatives are responsible for gathering, analyzing, and distributing information on local development projects, and work with local residents and local government in all activities associated with a community’s land use policies and regulations. Field representative qualifications include energy, dedication, and the ability to inspire and work well with the community at-large. Familiarity with land use planning, rural area protection, watershed management, and historic resource protection is desired. Candidates should have some experience conducting outreach in the community or advocating for a cause. Examples of work activities include:
- Monitoring and reviewing current and pending land use planning, transportation, and development activities and generating PEC response, when appropriate.
- Attending local government meetings and participating in relevant committees and technical workgroups.
- Serving as a technical resource on land use issues, for both local government officials and the broader community.
- Establishing and stewarding a grassroots network that supports PEC’s mission.
- Working directly with citizens and allied organizations to organize the public around campaigns, policies and outcomes supportive of the PEC mission, including adoption of language in the counties’ comprehensive plans and support or opposition to specific land use threats and opportunities.
- Regularly updating PEC Board members, other PEC staff, and members of local advisory committees on land use, conservation, and transportation issues affecting the communities served by the Field Representative.
- Collaborating with PEC communications and development staff to secure appropriate funding and highlight the benefits of PEC’s work in the region.
- Bachelor’s degree required. 2-4 years work experience or Graduate degree preferably in planning, law, landscape architecture or a related field preferred.
- Knowledge of local land use planning and zoning in Virginia is preferred.
- Demonstrated strong communication skills, both written and oral, including ability to write, edit, and proofread written materials for use in communicating with the PEC Board of Directors, PEC staff, PEC members, and the public at large.
- Ability to organize, coordinate and manage diverse activities and deadlines.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to work well with a diverse constituency including elected officials, non-profit representatives, neighborhood associations, and individual citizens with a wide range of backgrounds and perspectives.
- Experience working with local residents and/or community organizations, particularly in leading public outreach and/or education campaigns.
- Knowledge and experience with Google Suite and Microsoft Office productivity software.
- Requires minimal supervision.
- Willing to work some weekends and evenings.
- Valid driver’s and reliable transportation required.
- Ability to lift up to 50 pounds.
Salary will be commensurate with experience. Salary range is $24.0385 – $31.25 per hour (the equivalent of $50,000-$65,000).
PEC offers an outstanding and robust benefits package including:
- Two health plans (83% employer paid premium for employee only plan, 73% employer
- paid for added dependents)
- Short & Long Term Disability*
- Group Term Life*
- Accident, Critical Illness & Hospital Indemnity insurances*
- HSA account (with employer match up to $750 per year)
- FSA accounts (health & dependent)
- 403(b) pension plan with employer contribution after 1 year of service with 100% vesting
- from day one
- 12 paid holidays
- PTO leave from 15-24 days per year based on longevity and accrued each pay period
- 1 day per year of paid leave to volunteer at another non-profit or charitable cause
- Salary Continuation Leave for employee or family illness – from 2 to 8 weeks fully paid
- leave eligibility every 24 months, depending on length of service
- Paid Bereavement, Jury Duty and Military Service Training leave
- Cell Phone Reimbursement up to $75 per month
- Travel Expense Reimbursement
- Hybrid work environment and Flexible Work Schedules
- Professional Development support
- Payment for relevant licenses & professional membership fees.
*Indicates that this insurance premium is 100% paid by PEC for employee’s coverage.
Interested applicants should email a cover letter and resume to email@example.com. Resume reviews begin immediately.
- Address Warrenton, VA
- Skillset Advocacy
- Salary $50,000 to $65,000 per yr DOQ, hourly, non-exempt position
- Experience Level 2-5 years