Organization: Center for Science in the Public Interest
Point of Contact at Center for Science in the Public Interest: Colleen O'Day
Organization Address: 1250 I Street, NW Ste 500 Washington, DC 20005
The Center for Science in the Public Interest (CSPI) is searching for a Multimedia Editor to help write editorial content for the greatest consumer impact for CSPI’s web platforms. The Multimedia Editor will be responsible for creating excellent visitor experiences to grow our audience, both as a writer and webmaster, which includes day-to-day management of cspinet.org updates and updating access to subscription content. This position reports to the Senior Digital Writer and Editor. The Multimedia Editor will work from CSPI’s DC office, where we offer a hybrid work environment, or remotely within the United States. Preference will be given to candidates in the DC area.
As a public health organization, CSPI makes efforts to maintain a safe workplace for employees and visitors. We require all employees to be up to date with their COVID-19 vaccines as soon as they are eligible, and the vaccine is available to them. Proof of vaccination is required during the onboarding process.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Assists Senior Digital Writer and Editor in curation, writing, copy editing, and production of articles for cspinet.org.
- Assists with image editing, video recording and editing, and scripting planned media assets.
- Using data-driven tools, like Google Analytics, to track the success of editorial web content against established key performance indicators; performs content audits to determine content gaps, communicating results and future editorial planning and internal teams.
- Responsible for day-to-day site updates and improvements to accessibility, SEO, and user experience. Works with website consultants on CMS enhancements and features.
- In coordination with the digital communication teams, develop strategies to optimize user flow, engagement and retention on cspinet.org.
- Assists in routine changes to subscription content access.
- Assists in the writing and deployment of emails newsletters in collaboration with digital communication teams, as needed.
- Assists with photography, audio and video recording for CSPI events as needed.
- Other duties as assigned.
The ideal candidate would possess:
- 2-3 years of experience in developing, writing, and editing articles for the web.
- Experience distilling complex science concepts into simple, compelling pieces which appeal to a broad audience.
- Demonstrated interest in equity, nutrition, public health, or public policy.
- Experience using Drupal or other CMS, EveryAction or other CRM, Google Analytics, and SEO tools.
- Strong project management skills and exceptional attention to detail.
- Ability to work effectively as part of a cross-disciplinary team.
- Excellent judgment and consistent professionalism, with the ability to manage multiple projects and deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
- Intellectual agility to solve problems and the ability to adapt to changing priorities.
- Willingness to participate in CSPI’s efforts to advance diversity, equity, and inclusion in the workplace.
- Interest and commitment to CSPI’s work and mission.
- Ability to work additional and flex hours as needed.
CSPI is one of the nation’s leading public health advocacy organizations with a 50-year record of fighting for science in the public interest. We’ve led efforts to win passage of many state and local policies to improve school foods, put calories on chain restaurant menus and menu boards, and remove sugary drinks from children’s menus. National policy successes include the Nutrition Labeling and Education Act; Healthy, Hunger-Free Kids Act; Food Safety Modernization Act; and Food Allergen Labeling and Consumer Protection Act.
CSPI Core Values
CSPI is committed to including and valuing diverse voices and fostering a culture that ensures all staff feel a sense of belonging and are encouraged to be their best selves. In that spirit, each of us is committed to putting in constant work to live up to our organization’s core values:
- We are inclusive. We seek to foster an environment where all staff feel a sense of belonging and are affirmed. We are not looking for everyone to think and look the same. We actively welcome and value staff with different experiences, backgrounds, attributes, abilities, and perspectives.
- We are open. We are honest and direct in how we communicate with each other in order to build trust and integrity within our organization.
- We are accountable. We acknowledge and assume responsibility for our actions.
- We are kind. We communicate and treat one another in a respectful, generous, considerate, and compassionate way.
- We are collaborative. We work together for the common good and shared success.
The salary range is $58,000-65,000 based on experience. CSPI offers a comprehensive benefits package that includes: 3 weeks of annual vacation leave; additional paid holiday leave between December 24 and January 1; 8 weeks of paid parental leave; excellent medical and dental insurance with CSPI paying a significant portion of employee and dependent premiums; and a 3% employer match contribution to the retirement plan after one year of service; and a year-round 36-hour work week.
Please utilize CSPI’s Paylocity Applicant Tracking System (ATS) to apply for the Multimedia Editor position. You are required to submit a resume and cover letter indicating relevant experience and interest. Application deadline is October 3, 2023.
CSPI is committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspective, and skills and encourage people of diverse ages, sexual orientations, gender identities and expressions, disabilities, religions, races, ethnicities, socioeconomic statuses, work, and life experiences to apply.