Position Title Ocean Conservation Policy Analyst, Monterey Bay Aquarium
Position Posting: Here
At the Monterey Bay Aquarium, we are passionate about creating an inclusive workplace that celebrates and values diversity. We firmly believe that having a team of diverse backgrounds and voices, working together, increases our capacity to serve our visitors and fulfill our mission. We welcome people from all walks of life into our team and strongly encourage people of color, LGBTQ+ individuals, veterans, and people with disabilities to apply.
We support the recruitment of qualified candidates from underrepresented communities of Black, Indigenous, People of Color.
The Ocean Conservation Policy Analyst supports the work of the Aquarium’s Policy Team to advance ocean conservation. The Analyst will support this work by:
- performing policy research
- producing reports and other communication materials
- participating in advocacy strategy development and implementation
- performing administrative tasks and other types of program support
- Conduct research on policies related to the Aquarium’s conservation priorities, with a focus on plastic pollution, California wildlife and ecosystem protection, and climate change.
- Produce internal issue briefs and policy recommendations, talking points, presentations, and other internal communication materials.
- Assist in production of external reports, fact sheets, and other external communication materials.
- Participate with the Policy Team and other Aquarium staff in the development of policy strategies and campaigns.
- Assist in the execution of conservation strategies and campaigns, including coalition building, outreach to elected officials and staff, and social media campaigns.
- Support the Policy Team through tasks including, but not limited to, notetaking, database management, and meeting scheduling.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent combination of education, training and experience
- Three to five years experience in the field of environmental policy, law, or science
- Expertise in ocean plastic pollution, California wildlife and ecosystem protection, climate change
- Experience writing and reporting on policy and science issues
- State or federal legislative or agency experience
- Experience in outreach and coordination among government, science, business, community, non-profit, and stakeholder groups
- Advanced degree in environmental policy, law, or science
- Skillset Policy
- Experience Level 2-5 years