Position Title: Outdoor School Coordinator, Opal Creek Ancient Forest Center
Position Posting: https://www.opalcreek.org/about/employment/
Outdoor School Coordinator Opportunity
As a year-round coordinator, your role is integral to both the launch of outdoor school and its implementation. Prior to each season, you’ll confirm bookings with schools/districts, coordinate pre-trip logistics with visiting teachers, co-hire and train educators, purchase and prepare materials, and enhance our inquiry-based and student-centered curriculum with guidance from Confederated Tribes of Grand Ronde, The Avarna Group equity consultants, and The BEETLES Project.
During the spring and fall seasons, you’ll coordinate operations for a multi-day outdoor school program at Camp Silver Creek within Silver Falls State Park, Oregon’s most beloved and largest state park and the ancestral home of the Kalapuya and Molalla peoples. You’ll foster students’ relationships with the natural world and each other, support visiting teachers and Opal Creek educators, and anticipate and address program needs. Opal Creek Outdoor School is in a new phase with an opportunity for further development and expansion; you’ll play a major role in shaping the outdoor school experience for students and staff for years to come!
Silver Falls State Park, Sublimity, OR: April-June/Sept-Oct; otherwise remote
Qualifications, Skills, and Experience
A successful candidate will possess these minimum qualifications. We are less interested in the titles you’ve held and more interested in what you’ve actually done and who you are.
- 2+ years teaching experience, formal/informal
- 2+ years working with youth
- Strong communication skills, written and verbal
- Strong organizational skills & attention to detail
- Previous experience mentoring adults
- Previous experience developing curriculum
- Previous experience with equity, inclusion, and cultural relevance, and integrating into youth programming
- Familiarity with Traditional Ecological Knowledge and Indigenous worldviews
- Familiarity with The BEETLES Project teaching methods, or equivalent methodology
- COVID-19 vaccine (by time of employment)
- Able to pass a criminal background check
- Able to lead groups on hikes up to 3 miles
- Valid driver’s license
17 days paid vacation plus 10 holidays/80% health, dental, vision coverage/annual professional development stipend/business mileage
How to Apply & Timeline
Please submit an application by visiting the employment page of our website. The application includes a series of questions, and asks you to upload a detailed resume in PDF format. Be sure to include any relevant experience and certifications, both professional and personal experience.
We are accepting applications until December 1, 2022. There are three rounds of interviews for this position in total during early to mid-December. The ideal start date is early to mid-January.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions and to request any accommodations you would like made during this hiring process. We’ll do our best to respond to all queries and to keep all applicants up to date on how the process unfolds.
- Address Silver Falls State Park, Marion County, Oregon, United States
- Salary $45,000
- Experience Level Entry-Level