Title: Policy Advisor
About the BlueGreen Alliance
The BlueGreen Alliance (BGA) seeks qualified candidates for the position of Policy Advisor in our Washington, D.C. office.
BGA was formed in 2006 by the United Steelworkers and the Sierra Club in recognition that the future of working people and the health of the environment are inextricably linked. Now, together with 13 of the nation’s largest labor unions and most influential environmental organizations, we are fighting to protect the planet and advance racial and economic justice. The labor unions and environmental organizations of the BlueGreen Alliance reject the false choice that we must choose between good jobs and a clean environment. We are a powerful and unified voice for building an American economy that addresses climate change, protects the health of people and the environment, and drives a thriving, fair, and equitable economy.
BGA builds a shared agenda between the labor and environmental movements on bold measures critical to advancing a future American economy that addresses climate change, protects public health, advances racial and economic justice, and creates good-paying union jobs in safe and healthy workplaces in communities across America. BGA develops policy, produces research, builds coalitions, provides education, advocates these policies at the local, state and federal level, and mobilizes working people to take action.
BGA is seeking a dynamic professional to join our team as Policy Advisor. This position will be responsible for designing, coordinating, and implementing legislative and policy efforts related to BGA’s strategic engagement program focused on building and supporting congressional champions to advance a blue-green federal policy agenda. This will include working with the Campaigns Director and other staff to identify strategic opportunities to work with and support as well as strengthen BGA relationships with key members of Congress. The Policy Advisor will report to the Legislative Director. The Policy Advisor will lead work on additional issues as needed.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Support and build legislative and policy development and advocacy efforts regarding BGA priority issues;
- Manage relationships and execute policy development and advocacy efforts across a spectrum of policymakers, coalitions, business and community groups;
- Advance BGA priorities among Congress and federal agencies, conducting education and outreach to key officials and regulators at the national level;
- Develop and review public messaging and materials, to include letters, policy memos, technical comments, white papers, reports, presentations, press and online materials;
- Ensure regular communications and updates on BGA initiatives among staff and partner organizations; and
- Other duties as required.
Skills & Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree required, master’s degree preferred, with 5 to 7 years of prior work experience in policy, advocacy, or business;
- Experience/knowledge working on issues related to climate change, energy, infrastructure, the economy, and/or labor issues is a plus;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, and a commitment to quality;
- Experience working directly for Capitol Hill/federal agencies or closely with legislative and/or executive branch offices, with high competency in the following areas;
- Ability to assist in the planning, coordinating, and implementing of federal legislative strategies that involve mobilizing a diverse coalition of organizations; and
- Experience developing policy proposals, writing persuasive educational materials, lobbying legislators and staff, and mobilizing key constituents.
- Strong skills in developing mutually respectful, trusting, and effective internal and external relationships; exhibit positive and respectful manner with colleagues, partners, and allies;
- Self‐starting, highly motivated, detail oriented; has ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously and takes an innovative approach to organizing;
- Ability to travel regularly across region when health and safety allows it; occasional out-of-area travel required;
- Ability to use the various technology platforms utilized by BGA including IVDesk, Microsoft Outlook (including Outlook calendars), payroll systems, and any future programs as required;
- Willingness and ability to live in the D.C. area and travel periodically;
- Strong commitment to economic, racial and environmental justice; and
- A deep commitment to the mission of the BlueGreen Alliance.
Salary range $65,000 to $80,000, generous benefits package that includes medical and dental, 401k with company match, generous vacation and holidays, and a friendly work environment.
The BlueGreen Alliance staff is working virtually during the pandemic and travel is not required until further notice.
How to Apply
Please submit a cover letter, resume, writing sample and three reference to Jennifer Bakkom‐Gatzke (firstname.lastname@example.org). Please include your location, salary requirements, and where you saw the posting. Please write
“Policy Advisor – Strategic Engagement” in the subject line. Position open until filled.
Women and people of color are strongly encouraged to apply.
The BlueGreen Alliance does not discriminate against individuals on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, gender identity, or veteran status in the administration of employment policies, or in any other programs and activities.
- Address District of Columbia, United States
- Skillset Policy
- Salary $65,000 to $80,000
- Experience Level 5-10 years