Position Title: Policy Associate, Advanced Energy Economy (AEE)
Advanced Energy Economy (AEE) is a national association of businesses that are making the energy we use secure, clean, and affordable. We work to accelerate the move to 100% clean energy and electrified transportation in the U.S. AEE is the only industry association in the U.S. that represents the full range of advanced energy technologies and services, both grid-scale and distributed. Advanced energy includes energy efficiency, demand response, energy storage, renewable energy, electric vehicles, and more. AEE represents more than 100 companies in the advanced energy industry, which employs 3.2 million U.S. workers.
AEE’s mission is transforming public policy to enable rapid growth of advanced energy businesses. We educate, engage, and advocate in states, in wholesale electricity markets, and at the federal level for executive actions, legislation, and regulations that speed the energy transition and expand the size and value of markets for advanced energy products and services.
AEE is currently seeking a candidate with strong analytical skills and excellent writing and communications skills with interest and/or experience in policy advocacy for an entry-level Associate position. The Associate will work with other AEE team members to implement multi-year strategies and campaigns designed to accelerate the U.S.’s transition to 100% clean energy and clean transportation. This work will involve supporting a variety of priority initiatives and campaigns across the organization, including policy education and analysis to enact pro-advanced energy legislation and regulations in priority eastern and central states such as Virginia and Michigan, working with allies to align clean energy and equity priorities, direct engagement in public utility commission regulatory proceedings, and educating decision-makers in key states about advanced energy. The Associate will help AEE track legislative and regulatory policy developments around the country using our software platform PowerSuite, providing up-to-date policy intelligence to subscribers.
The ideal candidate will be a motivated self-starter with an interest in policy and politics, clean energy and climate, and will have a balanced skill set that includes both comfort with quantitative analysis and strong communications skills. Candidates should be creative and flexible, with the ability to move between projects as needed to support AEE’s work in a wide variety of areas. Candidates will need to have the ability to travel to meet with AEE members, coalition allies, and public officials.
- Contribute to AEE project teams in executing priority projects and campaigns to accelerate achievement of 100% clean energy and electrified transportation. A key focus of this work will be educating decision makers on how advanced energy technologies facilitate this transition and on aligning the utility business model with 100% clean energy and electric transportation.
- Assist in the drafting of comments and creation of reports, presentations, fact sheets, and other written and visual materials, and deliver verbal presentations as requested.
- Track, analyze, and summarize legislative and regulatory policy developments around the country, providing intelligence and insights using AEE’s PowerSuite platform.
- Develop and maintain excellent working relationships with AEE staff, members, partners as well as key legislative, regulatory, and administrative staff.
- Work with AEE’s communications team to identify opportunities for AEE to seek earned media coverage, including op-eds, editorial board meetings, etc, in key media outlets.
- Coordinate efforts with coalition allies in support of aligned clean energy and transportation goals.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience
- Experience with the advanced energy industry is a plus.
- Self-starter with an entrepreneurial spirit; candidates must be very comfortable working in an environment with remote colleagues, creating new projects, building their own calendar, and delivering on high expectations.
- Strong interpersonal skills required; candidates must be able to successfully develop and maintain productive relationships with members, industry stakeholders, policymakers, and other key contacts.
- Excellent communication skills, both oral and written, required—inclusive of public speaking.
- Intellectual curiosity, inquisitive nature, and excellent listening and problem-solving skills.
- Experience in advancing a policy agenda and/or working with business leaders is a plus.
- Willingness to travel as needed.
To be considered for this position, submit a cover letter expressing why this position and organization interest you, as well as a current resume. Start Date: August 1, 2022
- Address District of Columbia, United States
- Skillset Policy
- Salary $57,000
- Experience Level Entry-Level