Title: Political Affairs Communications Intern
Application Link: https://www.edf.org/jobs/communications-intern-political-affairs-0
About the Environmental Defense Fund
With world attention on both the environment and the economy, Environmental Defense Fund (EDF) is where policymakers and business leaders turn for win-win solutions. By focusing on strong science, uncommon partnerships and market-based approaches, we tackle urgent threats with practical solutions. We are one of the world’s largest environmental organizations, with more than two million members and a staff of approximately 700 scientists, economists, policy experts, and other professionals around the world. We operate in 22 geographies with unique projects running across four programs. You will be part of a vibrant workplace where innovation and results are a way of life.
EDF envisions a world in which people from all backgrounds and experiences feel connected to the environmental challenges we face and are engaged in creating durable, equitable solutions. We seek talented candidates who share our Core Values of Respect, Results, Innovation, Optimism, and Integrity, and support our Commitment to Diversity.
EDF offers internships and fellowships for students and recent graduates in a variety of programs and departments throughout the organization. The ultimate goal of our internship and fellowship program is to provide high-quality experiences (including relevant projects and opportunities for networking) that form the foundation for any individual who is serious about pursuing an environmental career.
With a dedicated team of lobbyists, strategists and communications professionals, the Political Affairs team advances the policy goals of EDF by advocating in Congress, through diverse coalitions and with the public for climate change solutions and cleaner air. By cultivating unlikely partners and mobilizing concerned citizens, we work toward addressing the biggest environmental challenges of our time.
The person will help the Political Affairs communications team on a variety of tasks to advance and elevate our external-facing communications related to our “Power Up, America” campaign, and on other climate change and environmental issues.
Tasks will include but are not limited to:
- Drafting, researching and/or compiling information for social media posts, blogs, fact sheets, newsletters, targeted ad campaigns and other public facing content
- Assisting with social media ads
- Tracking social media and website metrics
- Formatting and sending press releases
- Monitoring and tagging news clips
- Help with multimedia production including editing with video team
- Performing media research
- Applicants for internships should be enrolled in, or a recent graduate of, a relevant program such as political science, communications, environmental policy or public policy—with a preference towards someone who can commit working full-days.
- Demonstrated interest in environmental issues and politics
- Experience working in a professional setting
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Must be well organized, motivated, and detail-oriented.
- Must be well versed in using Twitter and/or other social media platforms
- Ability to multitask, prioritize and meet deadlines.
- Ability to work well in a team setting and independently
- Demonstrated initiative and problem solving skills.
- High degree of professionalism
- Proficiency in Adobe suite, Photoshop and/or HTML a plus
- Spanish speaker a plus
Term: Spring (10-12 weeks)
Hours: Full-time (35 hours/week) or part-time (20 hours/week) opportunity available
This internship would involve either compensation for work paid at a rate competitive with leading non-profits or academic credit. Students are encouraged to seek academic credit or funding through their college/university and EDF will ensure that any and all paperwork needed to secure academic credit is completed.
Interested applicants should attach their cover letter and resume to the EDF application, as well as a sample of written or digital communications they had a part in producing.
EDF is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant’s qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law.
- Skillset Communications
- Experience Level Entry-Level