Title: Press Secretary
Application Link: https://www.bluegreenalliance.org/about/careers/job-opening-press-secretary/
About the BlueGreen Alliance
The BlueGreen Alliance (BGA) seeks qualified candidates for the position of Press Secretary in our Washington, D.C. office.
BGA unites America’s largest labor unions and most influential environmental organizations to solve today’s environmental challenges in ways that create and maintain quality jobs and build a stronger, fairer economy.
The organization’s efforts center on the immediate need to develop equitable, commonsense solutions to our environmental challenges in a way that creates and maintains quality, family-sustaining jobs across the economy. Our staff and supporters design public policies, perform research, and run public education and advocacy campaigns to advocate for practical solutions; facilitate dialogue between environmentalists, union members and other stakeholders; and educate America’s labor union members and environmentalists about the economic and environmental impacts of climate change and the job-creating opportunities of environmental protections.
The Press Secretary will be responsible for coordinating and executing a comprehensive media relations strategy for the BlueGreen Alliance, including working with the legislative and policy and field departments to develop and implement a dynamic and aggressive earned and digital media campaigns around key federal priorities. BGA is seeking an enthusiastic communications professional with a history of earned media successes, positive relationships with members of the media covering the key issues of the organization, and a positive attitude and fresh perspective. Based in Washington, D.C., the Press Secretary reports to the Communications Director.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Develop a comprehensive national media outreach plan for the organization around BGA’s key priorities, in concert with the Communications Director;
- Collaborate with BGA’s federal legislative and policy team to develop issue-specific media relations campaigns as a key component of BGA’s communications calendar;
- Monitor developments regarding key priorities and legislation to provide information to internal BGA staff and to find and pitch opportunities to elevate BGA’s voice;
- Field all media inquiries, conduct media outreach, maintain current press lists, plan media events and press calls, and work with national partners to identify and plan media opportunities;
- Work with the Digital Campaigns Manager to help inform digital strategies and set objectives;
- Collaborate with communications department staff to develop complementary communications strategies between state and federal issues; and
- Other duties as required.
Skills and Qualifications
- At least four years of experience in communications, public relations, journalism, or related profession;
- Experience working in a fast-paced environment, including experience working on issue or political campaigns is preferred, hill experience is a plus;
- General familiarity or previous experience working with labor unions and environmental organizations is preferred, along with a familiarity climate change, energy, infrastructure, and/or workers’ rights is required;
- Demonstrated track record of building relationships with reporters and earned media success, including managing press events, pitching reporters, and the ability to find and seize opportunities to generate positive press for the organization;
- Ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously and strong time management and project management skills;
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills, strong interpersonal skills, the ability to collaborate with other staff and partners, and a deep commitment to and enthusiasm for the work of BGA;
- A willingness to travel as needed;
- Strong commitment to economic, racial, and environmental justice; and
- A deep commitment to the mission of the BlueGreen Alliance, a positive attitude with creative thinking and problem solving skills desired.
Salary range $65,000 to $80,000, generous benefits package that includes medical and dental, 401k with company match, generous vacation and holidays, and a friendly work environment.
The BlueGreen Alliance staff is working virtually during the pandemic and travel is not required until further notice.
How to Apply
Please submit a cover letter, resume, writing sample, and three references to Jennifer Bakkom‐Gatzke (firstname.lastname@example.org). Please include “Press Secretary” in the subject line. Position open until filled.
Women and people of color are strongly encouraged to apply.
BlueGreen Alliance does not discriminate against individuals on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, gender identity, or veteran status in the administration of employment policies, or in any other programs and activities.
- Address Washington, District of Columbia, United States
- Skillset Communications
- Salary $65,000 to $80,000
- Experience Level 2-5 years