Position Title: Senior Associate – Carbon Free Buildings, RMI
Location: Washington D.C. or New York.
RMI is an independent nonprofit founded in 1982 that transforms global energy systems through market-driven solutions to align with a 1.5°C future and secure a clean, prosperous, zero-carbon future for all. We work in the world’s most critical geographies and engage businesses, policymakers, communities, and NGOs to identify and scale energy system interventions that will cut greenhouse gas emissions at least 50 percent by 2030. RMI has offices in Basalt and Boulder, Colorado; New York City; Oakland, California; Washington, D.C.; and Beijing.
About the Program
RMI’s Carbon-Free Buildings program is seeking a Senior Associate (early / mid-level research and collaboration position) to support our building electrification work in the Northeast and Mid-Atlantic. The Carbon-Free Buildings program works to eliminate greenhouse gas emissions from U.S. buildings by 2050 through solutions that build a just and equitable energy transition for all.
About the Role
As a Senior Associate, you will use your technical, communication, and project management skills to craft visionary yet practical solutions for our research questions and policy campaigns with RMI teammates and partners. You will develop expertise in the content area of your specific program within RMI and will provide subject-matter support on that topic to teammates and external partners.
Key job responsibilities as a Senior Associate include:
- Collaborate with a wide variety of stakeholders in the region, building relationships and organizing activities to achieve high impact solutions.
- Design and create innovative approaches, with senior staff guidance, to effectively address policy questions and needs around electrification and gas transition.
- Provide research and quantitative analysis to support our efforts.
- Present quantitative information in a clear, visually appealing format, including in clear and compelling presentations to stakeholders.
- Synthesize recommendations into written reports, blogs, and public comments for a range of audiences.
- Guide and help structure work of teammates.
Our staff is composed of a wide skill set, and we welcome a diverse range of education and experience.
- Bachelor’s degree
- 4 years of cumulative work experience and excellent work references
- Background with energy, public policy, buildings, climate, and/or environmental justice
- 5+ years of cumulative work experience
- Graduate degree or equivalent experience in an applicable field, such as energy systems, public policy, sustainability, building science, or public health
- Experience or familiarity with areas such as policy advocacy, community engagement, and/or coalition building.
- Experience working with stakeholders in New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, and/or Washington DC
- Experience in project management, balancing multiple priorities and workstreams
- Familiarity with equity issues related to energy, climate, housing, and environmental health
- Experience working with state or city officials
- Experience working among diverse groups with varying perspectives and/or facilitating thought-provoking conversations.
- Demonstrated initiative and accomplishment in previous work.
- Ability to design, create, and run Excel-based analysis.
- Ability to listen actively, be diplomatic, and share knowledge and information well.
- Ability to stick with a problem through resolution but also knowing when to ask for help.
- Willingness to plunge into unfamiliar disciplines and take risks by exploring and testing new ideas.
These positions will remain remote through the COVID-19 pandemic. As the COVID-19 situation improves, it is expected that this role will be located at our New York or Washington D.C. office locations. This may be discussed further throughout the interview process.
The starting Senior Associate salary range is $76,500-$85,000. This position has a 5% bonus target. Salary is dependent on experience and will be discussed and vetted through the interview process.
We offer a comprehensive benefits package including:
- Medical, dental, vision insurance
- 403b retirement options (5% match immediately)
- Life, AD&D, short-term and long-term disability
- Professional and personal development (including LinkedIn Learning access)
- Generous paid time off
- Parental leave
- Commuter and wellness benefits
- Casual work environment
Increasing the diversity of thought, perspectives, ideas and opinions within RMI is a critical change element supporting our long-term sustainability and mission to build a clean, prosperous, and secure energy future.
We strive for a level of diversity that reflects the communities we serve. Achieving this—regardless of ability, race, ethnicity, ancestry, age, gender, sexual orientation, religion, veteran status, socioeconomic class, educational attainment or other social identities—is critical to the success of each RMIer and collectively as an organization. This ensures that we:
- Have the different array of thinking that comes from diverse backgrounds and cultures, enabling us to solve some of the world’s greatest challenges.
- Strive for a culture of inclusion and belonging by treating others with dignity, respect and appreciation enabling them to feel welcomed, supported and valued.
- Effectively connect, communicate and build long-lasting relationships with decision makers, stakeholders and constituents within diverse communities.
RMI is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
- Skillset Research
- Salary $76,500-$85,000
- Experience Level 2-5 years