Position Title: Senior Director- Campaign Marketing, National Geographic Society
National Geographic Society (NGS) is embarking on an exciting period of growth and innovation which includes expanding its in-house engagement and marketing team and building an advancement communications group to support the organization’s fundraising, programmatic and mission-oriented goals. With a focus on brand and digital engagement, NGS is building an entrepreneurial team of in-house expertise comprised of strategic communications, marketing, digital and multi-media professionals housed within the communications division of NGS.
The Communications Division leads the development and execution of integrated communications and marketing strategies to further the mission of the National Geographic Society and advance its position as one of the world’s most trusted non-profit organizations and global brands. Driven by the Society’s vision to be more globally known for its impactful Explorer-led mission programs, the Division’s creative and strategic minds develop strategic communications, marketing campaigns, creative, content, and media to promote the Society’s strategic plan and key priorities. The Division comprises six departments: Engagement and Marketing Strategy, Brand, Creative, Strategic Communications, Executive Communications, and Content and Editorial.
The Engagement and Marketing Strategy department is an exciting and growing team within the Communications division at NGS. The department defines and implements an engagement strategy for the Society to deepen relationships with our core audiences and market our key products and services in education, museum and events, Explorer-led programs, and fundraising. Supporting a culture of philanthropy is crucial to the Society and this group leads all advancement marketing and communications efforts to ensure fundraising goals are realized. The team is driven by a deep understanding of audience behaviors and motivations — designing digital experiences, outreach campaigns, and acquisition strategies to meet their needs.
The Senior Director, Campaign Marketing serves as a strategic advisor and partner to the Advancement organization in the design, development, and execution of fundraising and donor engagement campaigns. The Senior Director engages representatives across the Engagement and Marketing Strategy department, as well as the broader Communications team, to ensure resources are committed to realizing Advancement goals and ensuring fundraising campaigns are aligned and integrated into other brand, marketing, and communications initiatives. The Senior Director, Campaign Marketing reports to the VP, Engagement and Marketing Strategy.
This is an opportunity for a talented thought partner, strategic thinker and collaborative leader with strong campaign design and execution and project management experience to join the NGS at an exciting time. The Senior Director comms expert brings expertise in a fundraising environment. The Senior Director will be entrepreneurial and be excited to join the team at the beginning of the journey.
Campaign Marketing Design and Execution (50%)
- Serve as marketing and engagement strategist for multiple fundraising and campaign efforts to support NGS’s mission-oriented programs and doing so by bringing a keen understanding of how and when to prioritize different marketing tactics to yield successful audience engagement.
- Lead and develop annual marketing campaign calendar, planning, timelines, goals, and project management.
- Develop and execute flawless campaigns to support fundraising goals set in the strategic plan.
- Translate advancement needs to marketing activities i.e. work across the organization to understand goals and objectives and ideate campaigns that will best support those needs.
- Develop and disseminate key marketing campaign performance metrics and reports.
Fundraising Strategy (25%)
- In partnership with Advancement leadership and team design, direct and implement NGS’s fundraising strategy to engage existing and prospective donors to support NGS’s work.
- Collaborate with Advancement to develop and utilize donor surveys, analytics, behavioral research, and other tactics to gain deeper insights into donor personas, preferences, and giving motivations and leverage those insights to optimize strategies.
- Identify and recommend innovative marketing tactics to acquire new donor audiences
Integrated Marketing and Communications Support (25%)
- Help ensure cohesive NGS brand is represented across several mediums and channels by working closely with sub-team functions i.e. website, social media, editorial.
- Collaborate with the Strategic Insights and Initiatives team on using organizational and marketing data to create, inform, and improve engagement and campaign effectiveness.
- Collaborate across NGS and NGP to ensure cohesive branding and campaign optimization.
Requirements and Experience
- A minimum of 12 years of progressive experience in communications, marketing, branding, public relations, or a related field, along with prior experience in supporting development/fundraising/advancement.
- At least 5 years senior level experience in a non-profit including substantial responsibility for marketing and/or communications functions and major/annual giving, plus at least one other type of fundraising (e.g. corporate partnerships, trusts and foundations, official donors).
- Successful track record of campaign cycles from conception and implementation to sunset and measurement.
- Deep understanding of digital tactics including direct mail and digital advertising.
- Proven experience deploying analytics and utilizing data to inform future campaigns.
- A proven track record of is supporting fundraising leaders in identifying, cultivating, and stewarding six or seven figure gifts and multi-year relationships.
- Diversity of development experience and an understanding of fundraising for projects, programs, capital campaigns, advocacy causes and the synergies between campaigns and fundraising.
- Broad donor audience experience (could include foundations, grants, corporate giving, leadership, and individual giving) and experience toggling between audiences and priorities.
- Experience working effectively and respectfully with members of the senior leadership team and executives.
- Excellent writing, editing, and verbal communications skills.
- Strong financial analysis and planning skills, including the ability to anticipate tasks, set priorities, meet deadlines and function smoothly under strict deadlines and shifting priorities.
- Humility, creativity, and leadership with the ability to serve as a unifying force and to work cohesively and collaboratively across teams
The Senior Director, Campaign Marketing will manage a Campaign Coordinator.
Hybrid – This position has been designated Hybrid, meaning your position will be performed from NGS Base Camp three fixed days a week (Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday) and can be performed remotely for two fixed days a week (Monday and Friday). The salary range for this position starts at $155,000.
Bachelor’s degree required, advanced degree preferred. Credentials in marketing, communications, or fundraising a plus.
Amy Segelin, Partner at Chaloner is leading the search. Please apply at www.chaloner.com
- Address District of Columbia, United States
- Skillset Marketing
- Salary $155,000
- Experience Level 10+ years