Position Title: Senior Manager – Marketing, National Geographic Society
About National Geographic Society
National Geographic Society (NGS) is embarking on an exciting period of growth and innovation which includes expanding its in-house engagement and marketing team and building an advancement communications group to support the organization’s fundraising, programmatic and mission-oriented goals. With a focus on brand and digital engagement, NGS is building an entrepreneurial team of in-house expertise comprised of strategic communications, marketing, digital and multi-media professionals housed within the communications division of NGS.
The Communications Division leads the development and execution of integrated communications and marketing strategies to further the mission of the National Geographic Society and advance its position as one of the world’s most trusted non-profit organizations and global brands. Driven by the Society’s vision to be more globally known for its impactful Explorer-led mission programs, the Division’s creative and strategic minds develop strategic communications, marketing campaigns, creative, content, and media to promote the Society’s strategic plan and key priorities. The Division comprises six departments: Engagement and Marketing Strategy, Brand, Creative, Strategic Communications, Executive Communications, and Content and Editorial.
The Engagement and Marketing Strategy department is an exciting and growing team within the Communications division at NGS. The department defines and implements an engagement strategy for the Society to deepen relationships with our core audiences and market our key products and services in education, museum and events, Explorer-led programs, and fundraising. Supporting a culture of philanthropy is crucial to the Society and this group leads all advancement marketing and communications efforts to ensure fundraising goals are realized. The team is driven by a deep understanding of audience behaviors and motivations — designing digital experiences, outreach campaigns, and acquisition strategies to meet their needs.
A leader in data-driven decision-making, National Geographic Society’s Senior Manager, Marketing develops and executes strategies to reach NGS’s target audiences and goals. The Sr. Manager directs marketing campaigns for NGS’s programmatic divisions as well as the Advancement team to increase engagement, drive acquisition, generate leads, and to facilitate the growth, identity, and visibility of the National Geographic brand.
Campaign Strategy (40%)
- Develop and direct marketing strategy and tactical marketing plans to promote NGS’s core products, services, programs and initiatives to drive engagement, acquisition, growth and retention.
Campaign Execution (40%)
- Manage the development, review and dissemination of omnichannel campaign collateral including paid digital marketing, email, advertising, and direct mail.
- Coordinate staff, contractors, and vendors to support marketing strategy, timelines, budget, and deadlines.
- Manage project plans, schedules and processes.
Performance Optimization (20%)
- Work with business owners, channel managers, and data analysts to develop campaign success.
- Track campaign results, analyze data, develop campaign reports, and create action plans for campaign improvements and optimizations.
- Identify where current marketing processes can be improved or where they may need to be developed.
- Stays engaged in market trends and competition through market research and planning.
Requirements and Experience
- 7+ years of experience in marketing or communications, preferably in a non-profit environment
- Experience developing data-driven marketing plans
- Aptitude for marketing data analysis and able to deliver strong measurable results
- Expert knowledge of current marketing trends, preferably in the direct-to consumer space
- Superior communication skills
- Ability to establish and maintain efficient processes
- Knowledge of digital marketing as well as CRM and email messaging tools
- Destination Marketing experience is a plus
May supervise one staff member, marketing agencies, media buying contractors, etc.
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field (Communications, Marketing, Business, etc.)
Hybrid – This position has been designated Hybrid, meaning your position will be performed from NGS Base Camp three fixed days a week (Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday) and can be performed remotely for two fixed days a week (Monday and Friday). The salary range for this position starts at $92,000.
Amy Segelin, Partner at Chaloner is leading the search. Please apply at www.chaloner.com
We encourage you to apply even if your experience is not a 100% match with the position. We are looking for someone with relevant skills and experience, not a checklist that exactly matches the job description. We want to help you grow and in return, you help us grow into a stronger, more inclusive organization
- Address District of Columbia, United States
- Skillset Communications
- Salary 92000
- Experience Level 5-10 years