Position Title: Senior Manager of Educational Programs, Environmental Law Institute
Position Posting: Link here
Environmental Law Institute (ELI) Overview
ELI is a non-profit organization located in Washington, D.C., and is a leading center of environmental research, policy analysis, and training in the United States. Founded at the beginning of the modern environmental era more than five decades ago, ELI has played a pivotal role in the evolution of environmental law. Today, ELI is an internationally-recognized independent research and education organization whose interdisciplinary staff of lawyers and scientists works to develop creative solutions to critical problems in environmental law, policy, and management worldwide. ELI is also a renowned membership organization for environmental professionals, promoting excellence in environmental law through providing the field’s finest publications, intensive legal practice and training courses, regional seminars, and forums on key policy issues.
As a Senior Manager of Educational Programs you will report to the Vice President for Development & Membership and work in tandem with the other Senior Manager of Educational Programs to deliver high quality educational programming that serves the interests and needs of ELI’s membership. The Education team puts on over 100 programs a year. In this role, you would serve generally as an ambassador for the Institute.
You, in coordination with the other Senior Manager of Educational Programs and working under the guidance of the Vice President of Development and Membership and the Vice President of Research & Publications, will help with developing and delivering programming for members, maintaining relationships with members, recruiting new members of ELI’s various membership programs, and working with ELI staff to strengthen the membership program.
More specifically, you will:
- Help develop and deliver programs for members consistent with ELI’s mission. Associated tasks involve tracking current events and legal policies relevant to environmental law and policy, and developing concepts and write-ups for educational programs, master classes, major conferences, and cosponsored conferences. including, but not limited to:
- ELI Boot Camps (2 per year – one in DC and one on the West Coast)
- ELI’s Summer School Series
- Independent ELI seminars and co-sponsored seminars
- The Corporate and Policy Forums (associated with annual ELI Award Ceremony)
- Networking events
- Facilitate all administrative and logistical aspects of the education events including speaker outreach, planning calls, and handling webinar technology and in-person event set up. Upon resuming normal in-person events (post-Covid), travel may be required.
- Reach out to constituents and represent the Institute publicly as needed to communicate and foster particular programs and projects.
- Actively solicits and markets to law firms, corporations, non-governmental organizations, professional firms, and individuals to join ELI’s Professional, Corporate, and Public Interest Programs, and maintains close connections with them once they join. This effort is in collaboration with the Vice President, Development and Membership.
- Coordinate with staff, including members of the Education team and Research Associates (on an ad hoc basis), to deliver high quality programs and review their program descriptions.
Having mid-level experience in environmental law practice or related environmental policy fields will be essential in thriving as a Senior Manager for Educational Programs. A baseline knowledge of environmental statutes and/or experience in environmental, energy, or natural resource law and policy is necessary. Your educational background should be either a JD in environmental law or equivalent or a Master’s degree in environmental policy or equivalent.
The Educational Program is collaborative by nature and you must be able to interact in a professional manner with people from diverse racial, ethnic, political, and socioeconomic backgrounds. We employ anti-racist practices and principles while striving to support ELI’s culture of diversity, equity, inclusion, and justice. Other skills needed but not limited to include:
- Excellent organizational skills including the ability to conduct detailed event planning in such a manner as to continually have programs lined up in advance and balance numerous events at varying stages of planning simultaneously
- Superb attention to detail and ability to reliably adhere to deadlines
- Strong communication skills including writing, social media, and verbal communication including public speaking
- Proficiency with standard office software, including Microsoft Office
- Demonstrated ability to:
- represent ELI publicly in a manner consistent with our mission and values
- manage events and projects effectively and efficiently while producing high quality deliverables
- collaborate effectively with others
- effectively manage multiple projects/events and establish priorities with moderate supervision
- confidentially and professionally communicate and interact with experts in all aspects of the environmental field
The Environmental Law Institute (ELI) is a research and education “think and do” tank that makes law work for people, places, and the planet. We envision a healthy environment, prosperous economies, and vibrant communities founded on the rule of law. Our mission is to foster innovative, just, and practical law and policy solutions to enable leaders across borders and sectors to make environmental, economic, and social progress.
Compensation and Benefits
The annual salary for this position is $50,000 to $55,000 annually and is commensurate with experience. ELI’s total compensation includes excellent benefits including:
- Health/Dental/Vision insurance
- Flexible Spending Account
- Employer-paid life insurance & disability insurance
- Long Term Care insurance
- Pre-tax transportation benefit
- Fitness Incentive
- 403(b) Retirement Savings Account with employer match
- Paid time off
Submit an application package via ELI’s online application system (click the Apply button on this page). Note that your submission must contain the following uploaded documents (Word or PDF format), as follows:
- Cover letter addressing your personal goals and interests, as well as your experience and interest in carrying out the duties outlined above.
- 1 page writing sample – short and concise on a topic of your choosing
- List of References
ELI will accept applications for this position until 11:59 pm EST Friday, July 29, 2022. However, applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis and the post may be filled prior to the closing deadline. You must use ELI’s online application system; ELI cannot accept applications submitted by email, USPS or other shipping service, or hand delivery.
Please note that to ensure the health and safety of the ELI workforce, any offer of employment from ELI is contingent on candidates providing proof of full vaccination against COVID-19. ELI management will consider requests for religious or medical exceptions, consistent with applicable law.
- Address District of Columbia, United States
- Salary $50,000 to $55,000 annually
- Experience Level 5-10 years