Position Title: Senior Operations Manager – Global Fisheries & Oceans
Put your passion and skills to work for the planet. Climate change is the most urgent issue of our time, and we need people like you to help us build a vital Earth — for everyone.
We’re Environmental Defense Fund, a fast-paced nonprofit with a growing staff of more than 850 people in nearly 30 countries. We deliver game-changing solutions that cut climate pollution and strengthen people’s ability to thrive despite the effects climate change is already having. We work wherever we can have the most impact, from local communities to top companies to governments worldwide, and even in space.
Healthy oceans are the lifeblood of our planet. But they’re in peril – from climate change, overfishing, habitat destruction and other threats. That’s why EDF’s Climate Resilient Fisheries & Oceans team is working to safeguard the oceans and protect nature while feeding the planet, creating more secure livelihoods, and bolstering more equitable societies for human well-being. One of the greatest threats to the oceans is overfishing, which is why our dedicated team of scientists, economists, and fishery management experts are collaborating with partners around the globe to make sustainable fishing the norm. Through our work in the U.S., Latin America, and Asia Pacific, we draw on strong science and economic principles to advance sustainable fishing practices, forward-looking policies and innovative tools that support the health of our oceans and the people who depend on them for food and their livelihoods.
The Sr. Operations Manager, Global Fisheries & Oceans will lead operations and strategic support for the global projects within EDF’s Climate Resilient Fisheries & Oceans team, including work across Latin America and Caribbean (LAC) and Asia Pacific (AP) regions. In this capacity, the Senior Manager will oversee project management and resource allocation to support the implementation of our ambitious goals. They will provide support and expertise on global operations, such as management of foreign entities, compliance with local laws and regulations, and coordination with internal EDF Departments and external vendors. In addition, the Senior Manager will lead a team of operations experts in delivering project management and administrative support for these global projects. They will also implement strategies to facilitate collaboration and coordination across the global Fisheries & Oceans projects to ensure effectiveness, maintain program focus, and foster communication. The Senior Manager will report to the Director, Fisheries & Oceans Operations.
- Provide leadership to the day-to-day operational management of global project teams by managing and mentoring an operations team of 3 – 6 individuals in delivering project management and administrative support. Provide support and troubleshooting to the team on operational tasks such as developing project plans, executing consultant contracts, processing invoices and expense reports, and providing scheduling and executive support.
- Provide project management and operational support to ensure Fisheries & Oceans projects operating outside of the U.S. meet requirements, regulations, and compliance. Coordinate with internal teams and departments, and external stakeholders such as third-party accountants and Professional Employer Organizations, to ensure these global projects receive the appropriate level of support and required expertise for both current needs and future expansion.
- Collaborate with teams on work planning and resource allocation efforts in support of executing on our strategic plan. Ensure clear roles and responsibilities for all team members working on global Fisheries & Oceans projects, and appropriate staffing and capacity for key projects and initiatives, including coordinating with teams outside of Fisheries & Oceans for expertise where necessary.
- Monitor progress towards achievement of Fisheries & Oceans goals and strategies, including preparing progress reports for Fisheries & Oceans Leadership.
- Provide oversight on tracking deliverables for grants and projects, including facilitating regular communication between project leads and project managers to ensure commitments are met and resources are adequate to successfully support the work.
- Review relevant grant reports and proposals to ensure alignment with the strategic goals and interests of the Fisheries & Oceans team.
- Support the planning, development, implementation, and management of emerging or ad-hoc initiatives to advance work of strategic interest.
- Act as a catalyst for cooperation and communication across the regional projects within Fisheries & Oceans to identify synergies and enhance partnership. Facilitate effective communication within and among global teams and projects, including leading regular check-ins and team meetings.
- Identify synergies and efficiencies between workstreams, initiatives, projects and teams and facilitate interdisciplinary, collaborative efforts to streamline and strengthen outcomes.
- Identify and work with project leads to resolve barriers and challenges as they arise, such as bottlenecks in project flow, mismatches between project requirements and staffing, unclear objectives or decisions, and other challenges that undermine performance. Broker innovative solutions that achieve optimum outcomes and elevate issues to leadership when appropriate.
- Serve as a partner to EDF’s Mission Finance team, providing strategic input into budget decisions such as coordinating with Fisheries & Oceans Leadership to develop annual budgets, supporting regular analyses of spending to ensure accurate tracking and forecasting of expenses, and identifying and communicating resourcing issues, along with proposed solutions for rectifying problems.
- Serve as a mentor for junior staff and identify opportunities for professional growth and development. Onboard, train and mentor new staff to ensure they are contributing effectively.
- Participate in advancing EDF’s Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion goals in which people from all backgrounds and experiences feel connected, included, and empowered to address the environmental and organizational challenges in alignment with EDF values.
- Develop and maintain relationships with key stakeholders across EDF including Finance, Enterprise Operations, Human Resources, Development and Legal with the goal of fostering trust, gathering information, developing project ideas, and recruiting partners.
- Advanced degree in Non-Profit Administration, Business Management, or a related field; and minimum of 8 years’ relevant experience.
- Experience mentoring and managing the work of direct reports, including those that work remotely, and developing strong working relationships with staff.
- Track record of successful global project management, including experience working in EDF’s target geographies (e.g., China, Japan, Indonesia, Philippines, Mexico, Cuba, Chile, Peru etc.) and with colleagues and partners of varied backgrounds in matrixed environments and across multiple time zones, cultures and geographies.
- Team player who enjoys working closely with others and can also work well independently.
- Experience building and managing complex relationships and coordinating work across multiple partners from varying disciplines.
- Demonstrated understanding of international operating policies and procedures, including setting up and operating foreign entities, hiring international staff, liaising with third party vendors on global operations issues etc.
- Demonstrated experience in developing and leading complex projects and initiatives, and the ability to design, implement and teach effective management tools and processes.
- Ability to take initiative, make decisions, prioritize multiple tasks, meet deadlines, and work well under pressure.
- Demonstrates self-awareness, cultural competency and inclusivity, and ability to work with colleagues and stakeholders across diverse cultures and backgrounds
Positive attitude and ability to identify challenges and work proactively to address them.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including a high degree of comfort synthesizing and sharing information with senior internal staff and relevant outside stakeholders.
- Fluency in English required; proficiency in additional languages preferred (e.g., Mandarin, Spanish, Japanese, Bahasa Indonesia).
- Ability and willingness to work across multiple geographies, including flexibility to work across time zones when necessary (e.g., Asia Pacific, ET, PT, MT, CT etc.) and willingness to travel (up to 15% of time), including internationally.
- Proficiency in the use of Microsoft Office suite of software (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and SharePoint).
- Technical knowledge of fisheries management concepts, approaches and processes preferred but not required.
- Experience with government funded grants and awards (bilateral, multilateral, development banks and others) preferred but not required.
We offer a strong total rewards package encompassing competitive salary, robust benefits, and professional development opportunities consistent with a modern global organization.
The pay range for this role is 100,000 – 112,000 USD which takes into account factors such as candidate experience, skills, training, internal team equity and local norms.
- Salary $100,000 - 112,000
- Experience Level 5-10 years