Washington, DC preferred; other locations considered: AK, CA, FL, MD, OR, TX, VA, WA, WV
About Ocean Conservancy
For more than 40 years, Ocean Conservancy has been championing science-based policy solutions to protect the healthy and diverse ocean ecosystems that support our planet. Through its programs, Ocean Conservancy provides leadership on the protection of special places, restoration of sustainable fisheries, the reduction of human impacts on ocean ecosystems, and the need for comprehensive management of our nation’s ocean resources and ecosystems. Informed by science, Ocean Conservancy’s work guides policy and engages people in protecting the ocean and its wildlife for future generations.
Clean Energy Portfolio
Ocean Conservancy envisions a healthy future for our ocean and the communities that rely on it, free from greenhouse gas pollution and resilient to the climate impacts we can no longer avoid. To help achieve this vision, we advocate for sustainable ocean-based climate solutions, work with all levels of government to implement these solutions and help build demand for climate action. To protect the ocean and coastal communities, we must transform the fossil fuel-based energy regime along our ocean and coasts by accelerating the transition to clean energy, including sustainable marine renewable energy.
Working with the Directors of Ocean Planning and Climate Policy Team, the Senior Policy Analyst advances the organization’s goal of accelerating the transition to clean energy by securing needed reforms to the federal government’s offshore wind policy. The Senior Policy Analyst also manages Ocean Conservancy’s work to support enabling conditions for responsible offshore wind and other renewable energy, including those related to financial incentives and disincentives, supply chain development, labor and workforce issues, and research and development.
This work will include strategy development and implementation, policy analysis and identification of solutions, development and maintenance of relationships with partners and coalition management. Duties include:
- Provide analysis of and recommendations on legislative and administrative climate, energy and conservation policy to advance renewable energy that will contribute to reducing GHGs.
- Identify opportunities to strengthen enabling conditions for sustainable marine renewable energy, including but not limited to securing additional funding and resources for research and development, tax credits, and other financial policies.
- Conceive and implement strategies to achieve offshore wind planning and permitting policy reforms, including those identified in Ocean Conservancy’s Policy to Power
- Develop and leverage relationships with the marine renewable energy industry, those engaged in other ocean uses, and local communities to advance Ocean Conservancy’s policy agenda.
- Work with partners to engage in direct advocacy with the Administration, federal agencies, and Congress.
- Collaborate with peer non-profit organizations and other partners, including providing a leadership role in strategy development of coalitions. Work in partnership with Ocean Conservancy’s government relations experts, to develop and advance federal Congressional engagement strategies for the coalition.
- In coordination with Ocean Conservancy’s Government Relations Team, develop and implement strategies to target and foster Congressional leadership on responsible marine renewable energy.
- Write public-facing communications related to renewable energy, including blogs, letters, policy statements, and other materials.
- Represent OC at renewable energy events and meetings, in writing and through interviews and speaking engagements.
- Support Ocean Conservancy’s justice, equity, diversity and inclusion efforts, including by proactively incorporating the perspectives of underserved communities in renewable energy policy.
- 5+ years relevant experience in renewable energy, federal permitting, or other relevant policy advocacy experience in the conservation, climate or energy fields.
- Proven ability to develop and implement strategies to advance and implement policy recommendations.
- Demonstrated relationship management experience and success in operating in coalitions.
- Demonstrated oral and written communication skills, including capacity to communicate complex ideas compellingly to a variety of audiences.
- Demonstrated ability to integrate across disciplines and work collaboratively with diverse teams, networks, and coalitions.
- Strategic thinking and ability to identify, maximize, and create opportunities to advance Ocean Conservancy’s policy goals.
- Creativity and ability to move rapidly in response to policy opportunities.
- Collaborative work style with an appreciation of the benefit of a multi-disciplinary team approach.
Ocean Conservancy is committed to equity in its pay practices and posts expected hiring ranges for each of its positions. Salary minimum is $63,036; salary midpoint is $92,597. The midpoint usually represents the market rate for a position, and a fully experienced employee may be paid at this level. Compensation will be commensurate with the candidate’s specialty skills, years of experience, location, and unique background. We would welcome the opportunity to connect with potential candidates whose salary requirements may be outside of the expected hiring range.
If you think you’d be a great fit for the job and are interested in joining Ocean Conservancy’s team, please apply here.
You will be required to provide proof of full vaccination status or submit to regular masking and testing as a condition of employment at Ocean Conservancy’s meetings, gatherings, and offices. You may request accommodation for medical or religious reasons.