Position Title: State Strategist- Policy Accelerator, Climate and Clean Energy Equity Fund
Position Posting: https://equityfund.egnyte.com/dl/UeafKpnTTl
Location: Bay Area, Southwest, Midwest, D.C. (preferred), open to other locations
About the Climate and Clean Energy Equity Fund
The Climate and Clean Energy Equity Fund (Equity Fund) is a groundbreaking funding initiative designed to drive resources to advance climate and clean energy equity and justice across the country. The Equity Fund is building power to stop climate change and create an equitable clean energy future through a strategic multi-state initiative that is:
- Investing in the leadership and organizing of diverse communities (people of color, indigenous people, those most impacted by climate change);
- Engaging voters through nonpartisan civic engagement campaigns; and
- Winning equitable climate and clean energy policy solutions.
The Equity Fund is a dynamic organization and highly values teamwork, flexibility, initiative, and collaborative leadership. We are also an expanding team, which means the work can range from big picture strategy to detailed implementation. We are driven by a commitment to social and racial justice and the power of grassroots movements and organizing to create lasting change.
The Equity Fund’s Policy Accelerator program provides grantee partners with coaching and technical assistance to advance policies that improve the conditions of communities experiencing the causes and effects of climate change. The Policy Accelerator strengthens the skills, capacity, and leadership of community organizations to drive equitable energy policy. The objective of the Policy Accelerator is to support community-based leadership to drive equitable climate and clean energy policy solutions.
The Equity Fund is seeking two highly organized, strategic, detail-oriented State Strategist to join our Policy Accelerator team. The primary goal of the position is to work with Equity Fund grantee partners to identify and fill their policy capacity needs, while the grantees expand their capacities. The State Strategists will also support the development of strong data-driven justifications for climate equity policies and support our grantee’s thought and policy leadership in the field of climate and energy justice.
Our ideal candidates are strategic, smart, and policy-oriented advocates who are passionate about justice and equity, know how to work in collaborative, authentic partnership with groups that represent diverse communities, and are committed to deepening their expertise in equitable energy and climate policy.
These Strategists will seek to understand and implement the Equity Fund’s vision for working toward justice as we transition to a renewable energy future. The candidates will know their way around organizing and policy making arenas, have familiarity with energy policy, and/or are eager to learn. A track record of racial, social justice and/or environmental work is necessary. These positions will report to the Director of the Policy Accelerator.
- Support grantee’s state-level campaigns and regulatory actions to advance policy solutions; this may include helping draft comments and testimony, drafting public communications pieces, attending meetings or hearings, etc.;
- Evaluate new and existing policies and issue areas associated with climate justice and energy equity that grantees may want to consider pursuing;
- Support the successful implementation of existing programs and policies being led by grantees;
- Support the implementation of programs and policies resulting from passage of federal policies;
- In Partnership with Research and Engagement Strategist design, deliver research and policy analysis to support grantee’s advocacy efforts;
- Identify best practices across existing programs and policies;
- Utilize the Fund’s peer-to-peer network of grantee partners to advance the generation of policy sharing across Equity Fund states;
- Help build and establish relationships with other partners outside of grantee network to bridge gaps in program areas falling outside of The Equity Fund’s areas of expertise;
- Be a thought partner to grantees in developing strategies around capacity building, and innovative growth opportunities for both their organization and their staff.
- Advise on the creation, production, and release of public facing products aimed at influencing key decision makers, and informing the field;
- Advise in the development of accessible materials based on technical reports ensuring they are effective, accurate and culturally appropriate;
- Represent in national forums, both through speaking and writing engagements;
- Educate and develop relationships with state partners and allies;
- Advise in the development of toolkits, presentations, case studies and other collateral to help allies and partners in advancing policy efforts.
- Combined 5+ years professional, research and/or academic experience in climate change/clean energy policy campaigns, or related fields, such as community organizing, racial and economic justice, and/or philanthropy;
- Exceptional oral and written communication skills, including the capacity to write clear and compelling program-related material and speak publicly as necessary;
- Cultural competence, commitment to equity, and demonstrated ability to build diverse, equitable, and inclusive organization;
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work flexibly, and collaboratively as part of a growing team;
- Strong work ethic and resourcefulness, and high level of self-organization with close attention to detail;
- Flexible and resourceful, with ability to navigate in a dynamic environment;
- Ability and willingness to travel domestically;
- Extremely well organized and analytical;
- Outstanding problem-solving skills;
- Positive and helpful attitude, ability to contribute to a friendly and professional organizational culture;
- High impact, low drama;
- Sense of humor;
- Interest in building a healthy work culture and high-performing team.
Limitations and Disclaimer
The above job description describes the general nature and level of work being performed; it is not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required. The team member may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time, as needed.
Compensation and Benefits
The salary range for this position is between $100,000-$150,000/year, depending on experience. The New Venture Fund, the fiscal sponsor of the Equity Fund, has a comprehensive benefits package that includes 100% employer-paid health, dental, and vision insurance; 3% automatic contribution and a 3% employer match on 401(k) contributions; pre-tax transportation benefits; and paid holiday, vacation, sick, and volunteer time off.
How to Apply
Applicants should email firstname.lastname@example.org and must include a one-page cover letter and resume. Email MUST reference “EQUITY FUND – STATE STRATEGIST” position in the subject line. There will be two rounds of hiring and priority consideration will be given to applications received by May 2, 2022 (first round) and May 23, 2022 (second round). The position will remain open until filled.
No calls, please. We seek to recruit, develop, and retain the most talented people from a diverse candidate pool in the belief that employees from diverse backgrounds are critical to achieving our goals. We strongly encourage applications from persons with diverse backgrounds and experiences.