Position Title: Sustainability Education Program Manager, Global Council for Science and the Environment (GCSE)
The Global Council for Science and the Environment (GCSE) is a nongovernmental organization established in 1990 that advances the use of science to inform environmental decision-making. The work of GCSE spans boundaries between science and decision-making to strengthen the impact of durable solutions to environmental challenges. GCSE engages scientists, educators, policymakers, business leaders, and officials at all levels of government. GCSE was formerly the National Council for Science and the Environment (NCSE). Please read the GCSE Commitment to Equity, Inclusion, Diversity, Justice and Access.
You see the importance of sustainability education and the need for co-creating clarity of how sustainability programs and their graduates contribute to our societal and planetary wellbeing. You are effective in using inclusive approaches that embody and advance justice, equity, and diversity principles to engage with diverse groups. You are a skilled organizer and facilitator, implementing effective methods supporting collaboration, consensus building, networking, and outreach. You have experience in sustainability education in higher education institutions that allow you to effectively communicate and empathize with people in the academic and professional communities. You bring skills in curriculum development and online educational delivery as well as administering programs and policies. Considering the multiple dimensions of the job, you can juggle different tasks simultaneously and prioritize projects efficiently. You are committed to the mission of GCSE and its priorities related to inclusion, equity, diversity, justice, access and representation in every aspect of your work as you seek to amplify marginalized voices.
To enable the continued and future work of GCSE and Arizona State University in their partnership to advance sustainability education in higher education, we are looking for a full-time program manager to provide:
- Leadership of the program and project-management supporting higher education sustainability and sustainability-oriented programs
- Ensuring that GCSE’s interconnected efforts across our community ranging from the long-standing Sustainability Education Community of Practice to the consensus statement and key competencies related to sustainability education in higher education are advanced with high quality of products and process
- Prioritize and integrate the principles of inclusion, equity, diversity, justice, and access in the sustainability competencies.
Overall program management including:
- Comprehensive program management
- Facilitate communication among participants including feedback on products and with wider audiences about the products
- Provide support in all ways needed to the GCSE Sustainability Education Community of Practice
- Coordinate across the different parts of GCSE’s interconnected efforts related to sustainability education by working with representatives of the GCSE-ASU partnership
- Lead outreach and pursue collaboration with higher education sustainability and sustainability-oriented programs
- Ensure access to participation for interested stakeholders from within the US and globally, and across sectors spanning all levels of government, industry, public services, and civil society organizations
- Host events, including at the GCSE annual meetings, to present about GCSE’s efforts and progress on this project
- Coordinate with other organizations and partners to provide information about the project and invite input
- Organize engagements and communication while also unifying a disparate field to strengthen its potential impacts on higher education institutions, students and professionals, and employers
- Lead program communications
- Help to establish and maintain a robust web-presence related to this project
- Facilitate e-communication with relevant stakeholders including regular newsletter and social media engagement
- Bachelor’s degree in sustainability education, or other related educational fields; master’s degree preferred.
- Minimum 5 years of experience in sustainability education or related fields, such as sustainability science, higher education, etc.
- Experience in leading and delivering educational and outreach programs, particularly related to sustainability within the context of higher education.
- Experience in facilitating and coordinating programs and/or projects that involve engaging stakeholders from a variety of backgrounds and diverse perspectives.
- Demonstrated understanding of and commitment towards principles of inclusion, equity, diversity, justice, and access in professional work.
- Demonstrated skills in leadership, people management, collaboration, and networking.
- Experience with work that featured an explicit focus on inclusion, equity, diversity, justice, and access and/or working with diverse/marginalized groups
- Experience working with HBCUs (Historically Black Colleges & Universities), HSIs (Hispanic-Serving Institutions), TCUs (Tribal Colleges and Universities) and/or other minority-serving higher education institutions
- Teaching and research experience related to sustainability and/or sustainability education in higher education
- An advanced degree in sustainability, education, or other related fields
- Familiarity with the key competencies in sustainability
- Experience with standards, processes, and procedures related to accreditation programs particularly related to higher education or professional fields
- Experience using learning management systems (LMS) and other educational delivery tools
- Experience participating and coordinating in international projects engaging stakeholders from different sectors (e.g., higher education, private sector, etc.)
- Ability to work in transdisciplinary settings and integrate different knowledges in meeting the needs of diverse audiences
- Demonstrated ability in applying for, securing, and managing grants to fund projects related to sustainability, education, or related areas
Please submit the following materials to email@example.com to be considered for this position:
- Cover letter that includes a statement on how your experiences, activities, and goals related to sustainability and education outreach, teaching and learning, scholarship, and program management support the commitment of the GCSE-ASU partnership to inclusion, equity, diversity, justice, and access.
- Address District of Columbia, United States
- Salary 70,000-85,000
- Experience Level 5-10 years