Point of Contact at Microsoft: Nur Bernhardt
Microsoft Cloud Operations & Innovation seeks new Senior Transmission Project Manager in Energy Markets, focused on the Americas region (North, Central & South America). The candidate will help manage a portfolio of activities to optimize and identify opportunities enhancing datacenter energy supply, including: support site specific energy supply growth efforts and datacenter interconnection strategy and execution in partnership with utilities, develop business cases for utility system transmission expansion, communicate project needs and manage relationships across internal and external stakeholders, develop and verify utility transmission expansion plans, identify transmission related regulatory and policy opportunities for Microsoft, and identify delivery conditions and expectations material to our business.
The candidate will have the ability to develop creative solutions that combine knowledge of regulated and deregulated power markets to deliver electricity to Microsoft datacenters. In addition, the candidate should be capable of developing commercial applications for advanced energy technologies. The candidate will need to understand the dynamics of energy delivery systems and Microsoft’s own unique position in the energy sector. This necessitates that the candidate brings an innovative, collaborative presence to the role towards driving commercial & technology execution to realize business goals, enhance system reliability, and meet sustainability targets.
In alignment with our Microsoft values, we are committed to cultivating an inclusive work environment for all employees to positively impact our culture every day.
- Assist on engagements with utilities, regulators, and other related stakeholders important to maintaining and enhancing existing and future datacenter energy supply.
- Support datacenter interconnection and energy supply contract development with utilities and third-party energy suppliers in support of Microsoft’s datacenter businesses in the Americas.
- Lead or assist in the analysis of energy industry trends, market policy and regulations to proactively identify opportunities to reduce cost, minimize risk, enhance system reliability and advance utility specific energy supply strategies.
- Work collaboratively with external vendors and consultants on regional market research and transmission expansion plans.
- Develop internal business cases including providing input on financial models and market research.
- Build relationships with external suppliers and partners, particularly electric utilities, local and regional regulatory agencies, customers, and energy technology providers.
- Work with third parties to develop and monitor analytics tools for portfolio analysis.
- Business travel required (10%-25%, subject to fluctuation with business tempo).
- Bachelor’s Degree AND 4+ years experience in engineering, product/technical program management, data analysis, or product development OR equivalent experience.
- 2+ years experience managing cross-functional and/or cross-team projects.
- Understanding and experience developing and leading electric utility transmission planning activities in the energy and utility industry.
- General understanding of data centers and cloud services.
- 4+ years of experience in utility specific transmission system planning/management.
- Broad understanding of the power industry, with specific focus on the mechanics of power delivery systems/markets.
- MBA/post-graduate degree in relevant fields a plus, though experience in consulting and power/energy industries may substitute for relevant graduate education in this regard.
- Developed or assisted in the development of a utility transmission expansion planning effort
- Experience working with/for utilities on transmission related issues
- Experience developing transmission projects or services in regulated and deregulated wholesale power market
These requirements include, but are not limited to, the following specialized security screenings: Microsoft Cloud Background Check: This position will be required to pass the Microsoft Cloud background check upon hire/transfer and every two years thereafter.
Technical Program Management IC4 – The typical base pay range for this role across the U.S. is USD $112,000 – $218,400 per year. There is a different range applicable to specific work locations, within the San Francisco Bay area and New York City metropolitan area, and the base pay range for this role in those locations is USD $145,800 – $238,600 per year.
Microsoft has different base pay ranges for different work locations within the United States, which allows us to pay employees competitively and consistently in different geographic markets (see below). The range above reflects the potential base pay across the U.S. for this role (except as noted below); the applicable base pay range will depend on what ultimately is determined to be the candidate’s primary work location. Individual base pay depends on various factors, in addition to primary work location, such as complexity and responsibility of role, job duties/requirements, and relevant experience and skills. Base pay ranges are reviewed and typically updated each year. Offers are made within the base pay range applicable at the time.
At Microsoft certain roles are eligible for additional rewards, including merit increases, annual bonus and stock. These awards are allocated based on individual performance. In addition, certain roles also have the opportunity to earn sales incentives based on revenue or utilization, depending on the terms of the plan and the employee’s role. Benefits/perks listed here may vary depending on the nature of employment with Microsoft and the country work location. U.S.-based employees have access to medical, dental, and vision insurance, a 401(k) plan and company match, short-term and long-term disability coverage, basic life insurance, and wellbeing benefits, among others. U.S.-based employees also receive, per calendar year, up to 10 scheduled paid holidays, and up to 80 hours Holistic Health Time Off. Additionally, hourly/non-exempt employees accrue up to 120 hours paid vacation time, and salaried/exempt employees have Discretionary Time Off (DTO).
Our Commitment to Pay Equity
We are committed to the principle of pay equity – paying employees equitably for substantially similar work. To learn more about pay equity and our other commitments to increase representation and strengthen our culture of inclusion, check out our annual Diversity & Inclusion Report. ( https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/diversity/inside-microsoft/annual-report )
Understanding Roles at Microsoft
The top of this page displays the role for which the base pay ranges apply – Technical Program Management IC4.
The way we define roles includes two things: discipline (the type of work) and career stage (scope and complexity). The career stage has two parts – the first identifies whether the role is a manager (M), an individual contributor (IC), an admin-technician-retail (ATR) job, or an intern. The second part identifies the relative seniority of the role – a higher number (or later letter alphabetically in the case of ATR) indicates greater scope and complexity.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.