Position Title: Transportation Outreach Coordinator, Virginia Interfaith Power & Light (VAIPL)
Virginia Interfaith Power and Light (VAIPL) is seeking an energetic, focused transportation campaign lead to assist with doing the good work of educating and recruiting faith leaders and congregations at the intersection of transportation, environmental justice, and climate change. We are a regional affiliate of the national organization Interfaith Power & Light. VAIPL prioritizes grassroots community-based and led work among low-income communities.
VAIPL, a nonpartisan organization, collaborates among people of faith and conscience to grow healthy communities by advancing climate and environmental justice. We envision overcoming the climate crisis, eradicating environmental and social injustices, and living in a just, thriving, and equitable world. The VAIPL office is located in Richmond, VA.
The Transportation Outreach Coordinator develops a Virginia-based transportation campaign with local community members, especially transit riders, people of faith, and religious communities, focused on improving transit amenities (bus shelters, benches, etc.), extending zero-fare and quality of transit service. The Transportation Outreach Coordinator works closely with the VAIPL Co-Directors and staff, local partners, and community members to develop and lead local transit-focused campaigns. Our strategic focus area is in Richmond, with possibilities for expansion. The coordinator will conduct outreach for relationship-building, education, and mobilization of faith communities, faith leaders, transit riders, businesses, and community organizations.
Applicants must be willing to work occasional weekends and evenings. This position is located in-person in Richmond, VA.
Salary and Benefits
The Transportation Outreach Coordinator position is a full-time, limited duration position and based in Richmond, VA. This position is dependent on grant funding. Benefits include health insurance, vacation, paid holidays, paid sick days, and retirement contribution after six months. Salary is negotiable and dependent upon experience, but will range from $40,000 to $48,000/annually.
Coordinator Responsibilities and Duties
- Responsible for implementing a VAIPL Transportation Campaign plan which includes identifying, recruiting, and developing volunteers/interns to assist with campaign events and actions such as collecting petitions
- Develops positive working relationships with new and existing coalitions on transportation
- Creates written outreach materials for the transportation campaign to include fact sheets, text for the website page, letters to the editor, op-eds, sign-on letters, presentations, and toolkits
- Facilitates group discussions and makes presentations to various community stakeholders especially local businesses and faith communities on transit and equity
- Engages with the media to obtain event coverage and press hits (letters to the editor and op-eds) on the VAIPL Transportation Campaign
- Performs miscellaneous duties as directed
- The above job description describes the general nature and level of work expected and is not an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required. The team member may be required to perform duties outside of their everyday responsibilities from time to time, as needed.
Knowledge, Skills, and Qualifications
- Lived experience in frontline communities; this includes Black, Indigenous, and POC communities as well as low-income and working-class communities (Required)
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in English (Required)
- Prior experience and ability to write and deliver training, curriculum, educational and outreach materials (Required)
- Demonstrated knowledge and effectiveness working with volunteers and faith communities. (Required)
- Experience in logistics and execution of event planning (Required)
- Demonstrated passion for caring for the environment and working in the interfaith community (Required)
- Must be willing and available to work evenings and weekends for outreach and events (Required)
- Experience in working with interfaith communities and some general knowledge of diverse religious traditions (Required)
- Experience in community organizing (Required)
- A./B.S. degree in Environmental Studies, Political Science, Public Administration,
- Urban Planning, Transportation, or a closely related field (Preferred)
- Bilingual: Spanish and English (Preferred)
- Experience with outreach to the media, including writing press advisories and releases (Preferred)
- Prior knowledge of transit systems, especially as a Richmond transit rider (Preferred)
Please fill out the short form at https://forms.gle/yD6m7kz3LhgrZErS6 and forward a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Transportation Outreach Coordinator” in the subject line and include where you heard about the position. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
- Address Richmond, VA
- Salary $40,000 to $48,000
- Experience Level Entry-Level